Card-Based RPGs

Started by Nefaro, May 09, 2018, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

When hearing references to RPGs using cards as their core system, as opposed to dice, I always just brushed them off as less than ideal.  I mean.. who doesn't enjoy rolling dice? However, in my constant curiosity regarding game mechanics I read some reviews which finally piqued my interest regarding a card driven RPG.

Picked up the 2nd edition of Through The Breach, which is set in the Malifaux's Western-horror-steampunk-fantasy alt history universe of minis tabletop fame.  From what I understand, the poker deck use is similar between the two although the RPG includes some deck customization along with the usual added detail inherent in minis-to-RPG ports.

https://www.wyrd-games.net/through-the-breach

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/222583/Through-the-Breach-RPG--Core-Rules

The card mechanics drew my interest due to how much player manipulation it could allow in the resolutions while still retaining some randomness for the push-your-luck factor.

I know there are a few other card-based RPGs out there, but I don't recall reading or hearing anything about their core mechanics which hooked my interest as much as this one.  Got me thinking maybe I shouldn't shit-can them so quickly now.  I had heard good things about an old Marvel RPG, which I never personally owned or played, and a little about some more recent ones, but it's all unfamiliar territory. 

Any of you ever played or learned one of these rare types of RPGs before and care to give impressions?  Obviously something such as Savage Worlds implements card decks, but I'm talking about those that completely replace dice with cards. 

bayonetbrant

I LOVED Castle Falkenstein back in the day, but while the game mechanics might be charitably described as "card based" the deck of cards is barely used in the game, with the focus being very heavy on storytelling.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 09, 2018, 07:13:02 PM
I LOVED Castle Falkenstein back in the day, but while the game mechanics might be charitably described as "card based" the deck of cards is barely used in the game, with the focus being very heavy on storytelling.

Is there a new version of that out, or coming up? 

I was never familiar with it, but think I've seen the name recently.

bayonetbrant

the had a big DTRPG sale a while back, but I don't know of a new version

(quick google search...)
Fat Goblin Games had a deal to produce some supplements for it, so maybe that's what you saw?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 11, 2018, 05:18:07 AM
the had a big DTRPG sale a while back, but I don't know of a new version

(quick google search...)
Fat Goblin Games had a deal to produce some supplements for it, so maybe that's what you saw?

Yeah, probably saw them on DTRPG. 

I noticed there is to be a 2nd Edition of the Faith sci-fi RPG coming soon.  Saw some positive vibes about it.  Looks pretty, at least.  May have to read the quickstart.