Halo: The master Chief Collection on Steam!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 13, 2019, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

JasonPratt

I KEEP CLICKING THE STEAM BUTTON WHY WILL IT NOT TAKE MY MONEYYYYY!!111!1

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mbar

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mbar on March 13, 2019, 11:40:49 AM
Wow! Pre-purchase before EPIC swallows it.

It will always be available directly from the Microsoft store, even it wasn't on Steam.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

I am likely the only person who never played a halo game so no idea what I have been missing:)  Anything specific about these that set it apart from other games?

JasonPratt

Gamewise? Not really.

The original setting was unique in a winky sort of way: the ringworld of the Halo was a way of poking fun at linear FPS maps with changing environments from map to map. Well, of course, that's how such a map would look in real life, right?

The multiplayer was a little innovative for its time, in how base defense/assault worked.

I think people like the epic mythos of the story, which does have a number of interesting characters. And there's a cute fictional blue woman who talks to you occasionally AND SHE'S BASICALLY NAKED!!  :smitten: :smitten: :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

(Coincidentally, my niece got her first true Windows computer, a laptop, for her birthday last week, and the first thing she did was turn off "Cortana". I kind of did a hard blink when I realized the help function on Windows has been borrowed from that character for a while, but when I checked over her shoulder I was both amused and relieved to see that Cortana doesn't "look" like Cortana. ;) )

Rayfer

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 13, 2019, 12:37:28 PM
I am likely the only person who never played a halo game so no idea what I have been missing:)  Anything specific about these that set it apart from other games?

No, you're not...I've never played a Halo game either.   :'(  :-\

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 13, 2019, 12:44:06 PM
Gamewise? Not really.

The original setting was unique in a winky sort of way: the ringworld of the Halo was a way of poking fun at linear FPS maps with changing environments from map to map. Well, of course, that's how such a map would look in real life, right?

The multiplayer was a little innovative for its time, in how base defense/assault worked.

I think people like the epic mythos of the story, which does have a number of interesting characters. And there's a cute fictional blue woman who talks to you occasionally AND SHE'S BASICALLY NAKED!!  :smitten: :smitten: :hide:

This is probably the lamest, laziest summary of the Halo games, their impact on the FPS genre and the excellent story line included throughout the series, that I have ever read and quite frankly, with the walls of text you typically throw up around here, I'm very, very disappointed that you didn't do any better.  :crazy2: :DD

Please try again!  L:-) 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I too have never played a Halo game.

Dorks unite!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2019, 01:47:45 PM
This is probably the lamest, laziest summary of the Halo games, their impact on the FPS genre and the excellent story line included throughout the series, that I have ever read and quite frankly, with the walls of text you typically throw up around here, I'm very, very disappointed that you didn't do any better.  :crazy2: :DD

Please try again!  L:-)

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 13, 2019, 10:54:20 AM
I KEEP CLICKING THE STEAM BUTTON WHY WILL IT NOT TAKE MY MONEYYYYY!!111!1

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :hide:

Look, I pre-tried again.  >:D

JasonPratt

More seriously, I am just not qualified to do more than my experience with the game, here, by which I mean the original Halo since only H2 ever came out on the PC and I never played that. I'm excited to finally get the full series on PC, something I've been hoping for for years. I've got to seriously even decide what order to play the games in. (Release or chronological narrative?)

But I can't expound on the merits of the series overall because I haven't played the series overall; and what I did play back with H1 was not much better than other prominent first person shooters released around the same time. I had a fun time with the mp over a few weeks occasionally, and never got back to the main storyline after landing on the Halo because other games mattered to me more.

So no wall of text from me on the series. Someone else can volunteer that effort.

That said, while I want to play the series, I'm going in with tempered expectations from prior experience many years ago.

Jarhead0331

^challenge accepted! But I can't do it now while I'm work. I'd like to do it justice! It deserves it...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog