Main Menu

Cuphead?

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 14, 2017, 10:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw the buzz on this one a few weeks back saying that it's one of the best games ever made.  I watched a few videos of it and I loved the 1930s animation  artwork but I knew that the style of gameplay on offer wasn't for me and my comically spastic reflexes.  Then I saw that it was only $20 so I decided to pick up a copy.  Absolutely gorgeous to look at but the gameplay is so brutally hard and the pace so frenetic that you can't really take in all the animation.  I think this is the first game I've ever bought that I would rather just sit back and watch someone else play. 

My god do I suck at it! 

Took me 10 tries just to get through the first level and about a dozen more to get through the second.  Dunno how many times I took a crack at the frog brothers before stopping to get another beer and post this.

Love the art, love the music, wish I didn't suck so badly at it.

Arctic Blast

Yeah, the art style is fantastic. I'm also not particularly good at it, but it's a lot of fun in short doses.

Rayfer

Sure looks a lot like the very old Mario Brothers console games my kids played twenty or so years ago.

Bardolph

I like it. Definitely has that "one more go" aspect like Trackmania, Super MeatBoy, Loderunner, Spelunky etc. Plus the animation and music are great.
It is VERY hard. Or my reflexes have gone somewhere over the past couple decades.

Moreb

I absolutely love the look of Cuphead. Will I get it? Possibly, if only for a conversation piece and to support another developer with the guts to think outside the box.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Jarhead0331

Finally!!! A game I have no interest in buying!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Irony that Jarhead has no interest in Cuphead.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

I bet he'll still buy it in a day or two, though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 17, 2017, 05:58:13 AM
Finally!!! A game I have no interest in buying!

Well I guess you just aren't cultured enough to see the finer points of an evil carrot using telekinesis powers to thwart a cup-headed martyr on a mission from God. Or was it the red belt karate frog with the stiff jab and woefully inadequate glass jaw?

For shame.
When dongles fly? - mirth

BanzaiCat

I'm not a fan at all of platformer-type games, but I really like the looks of this.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 18, 2017, 06:17:37 AM
I'm not a fan at all of platformer-type games, but I really like the looks of this.

I don't have this yet but think more Contra boss battles and less Contra platforming (although there are some platforming stages) basically it's mostly about boss battles.
Insert witty comment here.