Frozen Synapse - Any interest in a league?

Started by Huw the Poo, April 05, 2013, 03:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

It seems like a fair number of we Grogs have this fantastic neon-lit tactical marvel.  Why don't we get a league going?  Or perhaps some other kind of competition?  Failing that, we could just kill each other in the face haphazardly and without prejudice!

Who's up for it?

Arctic Blast

I invite all to come forth and slaughter my poorly led digital minions. Feel free to send a challenge to Eanerus (long story) and prepare for victory. I'm on one of the US servers.

Barthheart

Ok, I guess I hadn't played in a while... massive update before I could even login.
I'm Barthheart on there too. Currently on US1 server.

Barthheart

Challenge sent to AB, Huwie doesn't work for finding friend... ???

Huw the Poo

Hmmm...perhaps that isn't my user name.  I'll try adding you instead.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Barthheart on April 05, 2013, 04:44:54 PM
Challenge sent to AB, Huwie doesn't work for finding friend... ???

Challenge met...well, as much as I ever meet them.  ;D

Huw the Poo

Actually you're doing well this time, Arctic.  Dammit! :D

Huw the Poo

Damn you Bart - you're good with a grenade! :(

My stupid machine gunner should've shot you in the most recent turn though, but he did that annoying thing of "juddering" against the corner of the wall as if trying to have sex with it, which kept resetting his kill timer.  God I hate that.

Barthheart

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 06, 2013, 09:08:58 AM
Damn you Bart - you're good with a grenade! :(

My stupid machine gunner should've shot you in the most recent turn though, but he did that annoying thing of "juddering" against the corner of the wall as if trying to have sex with it, which kept resetting his kill timer.  God I hate that.

Not as good as you! My lone guy is come for ya! ;)

Huw the Poo

Great game, Bart!  That first grenade of yours was chillingly prescient!  How the hell did you know my guy was going to be right there at the end of the turn?!

How is your match with Arctic going?

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 06, 2013, 04:22:50 PM
Great game, Bart!  That first grenade of yours was chillingly prescient!  How the hell did you know my guy was going to be right there at the end of the turn?!

How is your match with Arctic going?

My poor remaining grenadier stood no chance...hemmed in, he still bravely fought on until being filled with more holes than Bonnie and Clyde combined. ;D

undercovergeek

Arctic Blast

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 06, 2013, 04:57:34 PM
should be right on this once home

Feel free to join the cavalcade of pwnage against me.  :D

bob48

Never heard of this game before (yes, I've led a sheltered life) but it sounds like fun.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

It's fantastic, Bob.  Watch some gameplay videos on Youtube (the game allows export of whole matches straight to Youtube too).  In a nutshell, two even teams with various weapons - machine gun, grenade launcher, rocket launcher, shotgun - go up against each other, usually just extermination but other modes are available.  Each turn you plan your troops' movements methodically.  You tell them exactly where to move, when, which direction to aim, whether they should be standing or crouching, etc.  You can even plot your enemy's movements to create "what if" scenarios to test what will happen when you execute your plan.

It's a bloody glorious game for the tactically-minded.  And there's no luck involved either; all engagements follow strict rules to determine who wins.  Two gunners shooting at each other for example - the one who's behind cover (all else being equal) will always win.  Or the one who spots the other first usually wins.