Main Menu

War Thunder Thread

Started by republic, November 07, 2014, 07:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: MengJiao on June 19, 2018, 06:27:48 AM
Quote from: Destraex on June 19, 2018, 05:16:51 AM
Any combined arms at all yet for the ground? i.e. Troops, AT guns etc

No infantry or fixed AT guns and it is hard to see how they would fit into the flow on most of the maps -- which are only now coming out of the stone age of tank map design -- If there were ways for foot soldiers or cavalry or barge mules or escaped crew or spies or forward observers or medics or chaplains or voodoo practictioners or repair crews or magicians or commissars to move around on foot or by swimming or climbing trees it would add a lot to the game but I suspect it will never happen.  Even in Red orchestra (One or Zero) it angered dedicated tank people when I would leave my burning tank and take to a life of petty crime, artillery spotting and tank stealing.  Heroes and Generals shows another weird case of letting people wander the battlefield.
There are automatic AA guns defending the airfields in War thunder but that is a long way from letting people bail out and maybe giving tank crews points for capturing or rescuiing them -- for example.  You could also let medics, magicians, chaplains and/or commissars revive the seemingly dead with rum or vodka etc. etc. and of course a few zombies perhaps by accident occasionally.

You are pessimistic in extemis (or maybe I am). I do not particularly care how they fit them into the flow of the game. But without them it makes the game more akin to like having a ww2 game that only has rifles in it. Just put it in sci-fi because it sure aint ww2.
Red Orchestra 2 fixed this mechanic by not allowing tank crew to disembark.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on June 19, 2018, 08:34:11 AM

No infantry or fixed AT guns and it is hard to see how they would fit into the flow on most of the maps -- which are only now coming out of the stone age of tank map design -- If there were ways for foot soldiers or cavalry or barge mules or escaped crew or spies or forward observers or medics or chaplains or voodoo practictioners or repair crews or magicians or commissars to move around on foot or by swimming or climbing trees it would add a lot to the game but I suspect it will never happen.  Even in Red orchestra (One or Zero) it angered dedicated tank people when I would leave my burning tank and take to a life of petty crime, artillery spotting and tank stealing.  Heroes and Generals shows another weird case of letting people wander the battlefield.
There are automatic AA guns defending the airfields in War thunder but that is a long way from letting people bail out and maybe giving tank crews points for capturing or rescuiing them -- for example.  You could also let medics, magicians, chaplains and/or commissars revive the seemingly dead with rum or vodka etc. etc. and of course a few zombies perhaps by accident occasionally.

You are pessimistic in extemis (or maybe I am). I do not particularly care how they fit them into the flow of the game. But without them it makes the game more akin to like having a ww2 game that only has rifles in it. Just put it in sci-fi because it sure aint ww2.

WWII provides a mythic background that these games rather mindlessly exploit.  You get your Tiger tanks, 88s and Mustangs yada-yada.  War Thunder is somewhat cool in that it includes a wider range of weapons and gets it all to some approximation of the early 1990s.  So it ain't WWII and that is more or less a good thing for the most part.
   As for what people outside of tanks and planes should be doing in these games -- there seems to be no consensus;  I'd say a focus on adventuring on foot in the midst of a battle
could be very interesting if players were say looking for intelligence or prisoners or rescuing pilots or tank crews or scrounging equipment and fuel.  The emphasis on tank and airplane kills tends to cause weird interventions in the game mechanics such as prohibiting people from getting out of their tanks.  In reality of course there were lots of reasons to get out of your tank -- survival being one, but also repair, temporary abandonment, taking another vehicle, scouting, rearming and so on.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 19, 2018, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: Destraex on June 19, 2018, 08:34:11 AM

WWII provides a mythic background that these games rather mindlessly exploit.  You get your Tiger tanks, 88s and Mustangs yada-yada.  War Thunder is somewhat cool in that it includes a wider range of weapons and gets it all to some approximation of the early 1990s.  So it ain't WWII and that is more or less a good thing for the most part.
   As for what people outside of tanks and planes should be doing in these games -- there seems to be no consensus;  I'd say a focus on adventuring on foot in the midst of a battle
could be very interesting if players were say looking for intelligence or prisoners or rescuing pilots or tank crews or scrounging equipment and fuel.  The emphasis on tank and airplane kills tends to cause weird interventions in the game mechanics such as prohibiting people from getting out of their tanks.  In reality of course there were lots of reasons to get out of your tank -- survival being one, but also repair, temporary abandonment, taking another vehicle, scouting, rearming and so on.

Another light bomber:

Destraex

Do you play on the simulator mode meng?

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on June 20, 2018, 04:38:44 AM
Do you play on the simulator mode meng?

I play on Realistic Tank battles.  I only get to fly a plane if I do a reasonable amount of damage in a vehicle or two.  Arcade was just too busy visually and simulator didn't seem to have much of a population.  One of the (dubious? meh?) virtues of War Thunder is you can get in and out of battles pretty fast.

And the Achilles:

Destraex

Meng I have decided to give this another go with a view to forgiving like I do in WOWs.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on June 30, 2018, 10:27:52 PM
Meng I have decided to give this another go with a view to forgiving like I do in WOWs.

It's not a bad game.  At least things happen pretty fast.

jomni

I played tank Football and it's fun

Destraex

The ships in this game really have me excited. A lot of great mechanics when compared to WOWs. But worth $50 for the BETA?
A few little bits about the warships mode in warthunder. Limited ammunition, including only a limited number of torpedoes. No torpedo lead calculator indicator. Smaller ships in general including torpedo boats. These little boats shot each other up in island environments a little more commonly than BBs in island areas. I think they are aiming at Cruisers as their top sized ship iirc.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on July 07, 2018, 04:57:33 AM
The ships in this game really have me excited. A lot of great mechanics when compared to WOWs. But worth $50 for the BETA?
A few little bits about the warships mode in warthunder. Limited ammunition, including only a limited number of torpedoes. No torpedo lead calculator indicator. Smaller ships in general including torpedo boats. These little boats shot each other up in island environments a little more commonly than BBs in island areas. I think they are aiming at Cruisers as their top sized ship iirc.

The ships sound promising.  Here's a Beaufort, which can carry a torpedo:

Destraex

Having a little trouble making money in the lower tiers for tanks.  I sometimes get to take 5 vehicles in but it costs a lot of money.
My friend who dies right away and goes back to hangar makes money.

Tuna

I'll have to give this one a try, I had fun in our TW MP sessions!

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on July 11, 2018, 01:59:36 AM
Having a little trouble making money in the lower tiers for tanks.  I sometimes get to take 5 vehicles in but it costs a lot of money.
My friend who dies right away and goes back to hangar makes money.

The scoring is very odd.  I do best when my team loses very slowly and I'm the last guy fighting...basically shooting down lazy victory-rolling aircraft with the crappiest AA machine known to man (the French tractor thing...even my team-mates try to wreck it and I can't blame them, but it does have 4 13.9-mm machine guns in a very tight cluster, a fair amount of ammo and it is small and relatively hard to see).  If my team wins fast, I end up dying once or twice and not getting any kills.  Very expensive.

Cyrano

Given the many passionate discussions we've had here about BFC's relatively benign DRM in the CMx2 series, I'm surprised no one has discussed the very intrusive Gaijin DRM program.  It was a nuisance while I was playing a game I otherwise enjoyed and was dismayed about how difficult it was to remove when I tired of it.

To me it was near master class level "annoy your customer" stuff.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Destraex

Has anybody mentioned the gambling wager element?