What kind of board gamer are you anyway?

Started by W8taminute, January 20, 2018, 09:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I've got one simple question to ask my fellow board gamers.  I'm trying to get a feel for how committed we all are to playing a board game to completion no matter how long it would take.  It could be solo play or with friends.  Don't forget to factor in the realities of life schedules and other distractions.  So here is my question:

Q:  Would you ever play a board game to it's final conclusion even if it meant spending over 6 hours to do so in a) a game by yourself or b) a game with 3 other human players?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

Do you mean continuous play or broken up? Either way, I would.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

BanzaiCat

Nowadays, when playing solo (which is 99% of the time), I'm more open to shutting down a game before it's finished. The main reason now is my priorities shift, whether it's work or another game that needs to be looked at. I also find that I get bored easily, especially if a game isn't playing out in an entertaining fashion.

Nefaro

I'm more likely to spend over 6 hours on a single game if I'm doing it solitaire.  Ofc, it's easy to pack it up if you don't feel like continuing so no big deal.

Not so much multi-player.  Aside from getting it all planned, especially if it ends up taking more than one session, it's just easy for gaming fatigue to set in at some point during a long run.  It's very rare, being able to sit and concentrate on one thing for 7+ hours, at least for me.  My thinkmeats gotta move focus regularly.

acctingman

I would, as long as my wife let me  :P

I'm also figuring out I'm NOT a war board gamer, but I LOVE fantasy board gaming.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

You can clip fantasy gaming counters too, you know.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 24, 2018, 09:23:01 AM
You can clip fantasy gaming counters too, you know.

Makes me want to buy a fantasy board game just to clip the counters.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus