Starfinder by Paizo

Started by Yskonyn, February 13, 2018, 03:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I am a little amazed that nobody has discussed it yet?
Have any of you played this? How is it?
I might be starting this with a few friends later this year, so I am looking for impressions.
Nice thing is that your physical or pdf purchase will give you a discount on the module for Fantasy Grounds.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bayonetbrant

I've thumbed through it on the shelves at the store a few times, but it's a lot of money to spend on something I'd just be reading and not likely to be playing
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Lots of rules and frankly Paizo has gone full tilt on publishing "extras" for the game already.  Core book, creature book, pawns, gm screen, modules, ect...they've already pushed it toward $200 for stuff.

Dammit Carl!

I could see playing it but never buying more than the core book; too much rule tomfoolery and any more, I've the attention span of a 4 year old hopped up on cotton candy when it comes to rpg systems and whatnot.

Bison

The system, like Pathfinder and similar games, really pushes a need for some form of miniature to effectively do combat.  I use minis, pawns, pennies, glass beads for a general understanding of the situation, but its pretty fluid and don't really get caught up with all of the nit-noid details.  I think this game and Pathfinder, like 4e D&D, is much more specific about the details and the need to reflect them accurately for the tactics of the rules to work properly.  What's all that mean?  Nothing, but I do think you do end up with a game that is more or less dictated by rules and rule exceptions and not guided by the rules.

I'm with you Carl on rules complexity.  These days if I like and prefer simple rule sets to overly complex ones.  5e is about as complex as I want to deal with in a game but I prefer more rules-light games like Basic Fantasy.

Nefaro

Judging by some reviews it sounds like I expected; a sci-fi theme painted over the Pathfinder/D&D3 rules. 

Meh.

If there's one thing that will guarantee a quick negative, it's other genres being shoehorned into a D&D-based rule set.   :hide:

Bison

Well, I read some of the core rulebook the other day at B&N.  It seems like it could be fun but it still has much of the fiddliness of Pathfinder with feats and skill checks. You can tell its been streamlined but still very crunchy.  It's on the list to look at more but I want a simpler system for my space opera game.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Bison on March 13, 2018, 10:29:53 PM
Well, I read some of the core rulebook the other day at B&N.  It seems like it could be fun but it still has much of the fiddliness of Pathfinder with feats and skill checks. You can tell its been streamlined but still very crunchy.  It's on the list to look at more but I want a simpler system for my space opera game.

Anymore, I'd take a gander at Stars Without Number for SF gaming needs, but I'm favorably biased towards Sine Nomine's products too.

Nefaro

Corvus Belli's Infinity RPG, from Modiphius, just started hitting stores.  The one based on the popular skirmish minis game setting.

I blindly ordered a copy of that for a new sci-fi/cyber RPG fix since I like the 2d20 system and it has a lifepath character creation system.

Got a couple other lighter sci-fi RPGs in the past couple years, too, but haven't delved far into those yet (Coriolis & Interface 2.0 for Fate).  There's a plethora of high quality sci-fi ones coming out lately, plus some oldies being redone in new shiny forms.

Bison

I'm actually looking at White Star.  It's built on Swords & Wizardy Whitebox, which is an OSR version of OD&D.  It's cheap and a light rule set.  Plus there is no real learning curve especially if your familiar with OD&D.  There is some sort of deluxe version coming which is the base rules, the expansion rules, and some new fluff.

http://www.rpgnow.com/m/product/148169

Nefaro

Well..

After finding out that they chopped down some of the Pathfinder rules, I became curious.  After taking a quick browse, and liking what I saw of it's sci-fantasy setting, which is still rather different than the others, I buckled like a damn belt.   

Also because I got a new core book for only $35.  I'm a sucker for these big thick bastards with great art.. and a sizable savings.  Not sure if the fluff still feels too much of a repainted PF, but we'll see. 

Dunno if I'll ever play it, as with many RPGs I own, but it looks great and will keep me reading for awhile.

Yskonyn

I am interested in a more in-depth review, Nef!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 20, 2018, 04:09:59 PM
I am interested in a more in-depth review, Nef!

It's one big SOB.  Probably won't get around to reading it well after I move, too, so be patient!

Initial impressions are good.  I mean.. how many other sci-fantasy games have an Undead faction with their own themed starships (also: dragons, etc).  Wasn't sure it'd fit well, but after skimming it, I may well have been wrong.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Nefaro on May 22, 2018, 12:13:05 PM
I mean.. how many other sci-fantasy games have an Undead faction with their own themed starships (also: dragons, etc).  Wasn't sure it'd fit well, but after skimming it, I may well have been wrong.

Oooo...WH40K Necrons-ish?  Color me interested!

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 22, 2018, 07:54:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 22, 2018, 12:13:05 PM
I mean.. how many other sci-fantasy games have an Undead faction with their own themed starships (also: dragons, etc).  Wasn't sure it'd fit well, but after skimming it, I may well have been wrong.

Oooo...WH40K Necrons-ish?  Color me interested!

Kinda.   Closer to something like having Lich-Admirals and Wight-Captains I suspect.  Still heavy on the fantasy flavoring, but not so much that it completely dominates.  Probably has Orc factions, of course.  The dragon-in-a-ship thing sounds a bit odd to me, but maybe it works out.

Been impressed with how they filled out the weapons.  Big lists of varied 'gun' types, for example, with increasing power in each type (with recommended levels for use).  Plus it looks like you can modify weapons, armor, yourself, etc further. 

I need to pick up the 'monster manual' equivalent sometime.  Will do that in the future.  It reportedly has numerous new humanoid races for the setting, along with the usual baddies.