Conan RPG (Modiphius) - Down to the wire

Started by Nefaro, July 08, 2016, 07:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 09, 2018, 12:13:24 PM
Thanks for the pointers!
The Tome seems to be an awesome addition to my library and its available for International Print-on-demand service as well, meaning I can save on shipping and handling. Many thanks!

Awesome!   :bd:

I forgot you're in Euroland.  At least you can probably get affordable shipping for Modiphius products since they're nearby.  There are only a few web outlets, here in the States, which regularly carry the whole range and those tend to sell out of them after awhile.

Yskonyn

I am yes. Indeed, I am lucky with Modiphius.
Battletech, though, is a completely different story. Hard to find here after the initial print run of a certain product is finished. As goes for Advanced Squad Leader.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 10, 2018, 07:16:28 AM
I am yes. Indeed, I am lucky with Modiphius.
Battletech, though, is a completely different story. Hard to find here after the initial print run of a certain product is finished. As goes for Advanced Squad Leader.

I'm not even sure if those two are very well stocked here in the States either.  At least the shipping should be reasonable, however.  :)

I recall having some problems finding Battletech product in the past, and I always get the impression that the ASL crowd is regularly scrambling to grab certain titles in limited supply before they're scarce.

Yskonyn

The latter is certainly true.
Because every ASL product is only printed in limited amounts the prices remain high, even on the second hand market.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Yskonyn

Shoutout to Frog God Games!
I contacted them about my Tome of Adventure Making; it still hasn't arrived yet. Apparently they are having issues with their International Print on Demand.
They confirmed my order is still ok, but it just takes long. To ease the pain of waiting I got 3 books added to my account! One is the VERY handy Mother of all Treasure Tables! :)

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 21, 2018, 12:37:27 PM
Shoutout to Frog God Games!
I contacted them about my Tome of Adventure Making; it still hasn't arrived yet. Apparently they are having issues with their International Print on Demand.
They confirmed my order is still ok, but it just takes long. To ease the pain of waiting I got 3 books added to my account! One is the VERY handy Mother of all Treasure Tables! :)

Ahh!  So you picked up the Tome of Adventure Design?

It's a beast of a generator book.   :dreamer:

Despite having all the Conan expansion PDFs coming out, I began picking up the hardbacks.  They tend to cost less than previous Modiphius splatbooks which were paperbacks.   :nerd:

Yskonyn

Ha! Me too! Just placed the order for Conan The Thief even though I have all books in PDF so far.
There's just nothing like reading from a hardcopy.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 21, 2018, 10:11:12 PM
Ha! Me too! Just placed the order for Conan The Thief even though I have all books in PDF so far.
There's just nothing like reading from a hardcopy.

I grabbed Conan The Thief, The Barbarian, and, of course, The Book Of Skelos thus far.

Been putting off getting Conan The Mercenary.  I don't feel an urgent need for the mass combat rules and other fluff in it.  Probably the only thing I would use much is the more specific character archetypes, but those aren't essential.  Now that I think of it, the extra monsters are nice (the few of them) since those are always some of the most interesting bits of RPGs IMO.  I've only skimmed through Mercenary, however, so I may have missed something.  Just printed it off in black & white awhile back to do so.

Wondering when the 2nd wave will appear.

Would be fun to do a play-by-post of Conan sometime.  Although I don't think the 2d20 system is the most ideal to do PbP with due to the higher amount of player/GM back & forth involved, compared to other systems.  At least it uses normal gaming dice, however.  :nerd:

Yskonyn

It can work if you are ok with the GM rolling for players at times to keep the game going. It would need an agreement by players to have discussed some sort of script or basic goal for an action scene, so the GM can choose which action is most logical.

Often you see the non battle stuff being played out on a per player basis. At least thats my take.

Dammit Carl!

..and as a horrible rpg-game-whore who is also fond of Conan, count me in. 

(got the books-core and a few others-and everything!)

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 22, 2018, 01:43:00 PM
It can work if you are ok with the GM rolling for players at times to keep the game going. It would need an agreement by players to have discussed some sort of script or basic goal for an action scene, so the GM can choose which action is most logical.

Often you see the non battle stuff being played out on a per player basis. At least thats my take.

I was thinking more of the decision-making cycle.  Since Conan has the option to defend against attacks, a regular expenditure of Momentum/Doom, and special combat result "menus" for adding bonus effects, mental attacks, etc.  I imagine the back & forth is more frequent.  Probably won't stop us, though.   8)

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 22, 2018, 07:51:59 PM
..and as a horrible rpg-game-whore who is also fond of Conan, count me in. 

(got the books-core and a few others-and everything!)

Great!  <:-)

Probably won't happen for awhile since I'm pretty busy right now.  Will get some stuff rolling after I get settled in, and likewise start joining others' games at that point.

Yskonyn

Hardbacks arrived today! That makes me complete on the currently released books, save for the scenario and maps products. I dont need them hardcopy.