40Cent @ the movies

Started by Centurion40, February 10, 2012, 09:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

The Mrs. and I saw "Rock the Kasbah yesterday and it was very "meh".   There was so much talent in this movie, but it just seemed to limp along.  It seemed like the only actors not "phoning it in" were Danny McBride, Scott Caan, Kate Hudson and Zooey Deschanel.  Bill Murray was fine, but at times it seemed like he was making up his lines as he went along and the director went with the first take.  Bruce Willis was unconvincing.

I'm giving it a 23 out of 40.
Any time is a good time for pie.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Windigo on October 05, 2015, 11:53:25 AM
Saw The Martian. Was a ripping good yarn. Not sure 3D is worth it Good characters, great story.

34 cents out of 40.

I saw it tonight with my son. I would give it a bit better than 34 but then I am a space geek (wore my NASA T-shirt). We did not opt for 3D and I'm not sorry.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on October 27, 2015, 10:34:59 AM
The Mrs. and I saw "Rock the Kasbah yesterday and it was very "meh".   There was so much talent in this movie, but it just seemed to limp along.  It seemed like the only actors not "phoning it in" were Danny McBride, Scott Caan, Kate Hudson and Zooey Deschanel.  Bill Murray was fine, but at times it seemed like he was making up his lines as he went along and the director went with the first take.  Bruce Willis was unconvincing.

I'm giving it a 23 out of 40.

truth is, Bill IMO needs a good kick in the ass from the Director every morning while he's on set
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Centurion40

Saw the Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse last night.  Before I went, I read a review that said the flick is a cross between Superbad and Zombieland.  That statement is an insult to both of those movies.

The Scouts Guide is not very polished, and there is a fair amount of "shaky cam", which seems very popular these days.  I found the first half-hour to be almost pitiful to watch, but then the film really took off once there were more than 10 zombies; and I actually started to enjoy it.  I even had a couple of genuinely serious chuckles at some of the puerile shtick.  No gut-busters, but even now I am smirking as I type and think about some of the scenes/situations.   I was entertained.

25/40

Huw the Poo

I just watched Spring for the second time so I thought I should mention it.  It's an interesting take on body horror.  An American guy has a run of very bad luck so decides to piss off to Italy for a while.  He meets a beautiful girl there, and from that point some...weird stuff happens.  It's almost a romance film that happens to have a horror theme.  Very nicely shot, the script is above average and avoids cliché and sentimentality, and you genuinely care for the characters.  All against a gorgeous old Italian backdrop.  Well worth watching, despite a very slow start.

Windigo

thanks for this review Huw da Poo(?) - will watch it

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Windigo on November 20, 2015, 12:16:46 PM
thanks for this review Huw da Poo(?) - will watch it

I hope you enjoy it mate - let me know what you think!

Centurion40

The Mrs. and I saw The Night Before yesterday afternoon, and enjoyed it.  It had something for everyone (low-brow drug humour for me, and character development for the Mrs.).  I had a couple of good chuckles on top of one air-gasping guffaw, and the Mrs. even shed a tear.  Not that this flick was overly meaningful, I mean Tracey Morgan played Santa... as in the real Santa Claus and not some department store rent-a-Santa.

Best holiday movie of 2015, and maybe even 2014 too.

31/40

BanzaiCat

Finally saw The Martian. Excellent film, much better than I thought it would be. It got really bad with the whole EVA experience near the end (I mean, seriously, the timing on that would have had to be laser perfect...silly movie star physics). But despite the feeling that Hollywood tried to pack as much danger and drama into it even though an experience like this would probably have resulted in something far more boring, it was a great movie. 35/40.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 24, 2015, 03:52:20 PM
Finally saw The Martian. Excellent film, much better than I thought it would be. It got really bad with the whole EVA experience near the end (I mean, seriously, the timing on that would have had to be laser perfect...silly movie star physics). But despite the feeling that Hollywood tried to pack as much danger and drama into it even though an experience like this would probably have resulted in something far more boring, it was a great movie. 35/40.

I really enjoyed it as well. I'm listening to the book now, and so far the movie was pretty much a faithful word for word reproduction. Haven't got tent to the part where he starts his trek yet, though. Anyway, great movie, great book. They make math word problems exciting.

airboy

I don't go to movies much.  But my wife and I try to pick cruises that have a ton of recent movies that you can see in your stateroom.  We just got back from a 1 week cruise to the Caribbean and I watched 10 movies in 7 days.

They were (and some are classics):
Inside Out - one of the better junior high science movies I've seen - but not great movie entertainment.
Minions - Blah.
Latest Mission Impossible - This was very good.  Highly enjoyable.
A Royal Night Out - A nice piece of VE day in London bit of fluff.
American Sniper - This was really well done.  Loved it.  Wife, not so much.
Max - I've seen better made for TV movies than this.  Nothing objectionable but not worth the time.
The Imitation Game - Yes!  A really awesome movie about breaking Enigma.
Into the Woods - OK if you like musicals.  But I don't like musicals all that much.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Have not watched it in at least 10 years.  It is still awesome.
The Princess Bride - It is still awesome!

We also brought back 10 liters of booze.  Suitcases were quite heavy.

Martok

Quote from: airboy on December 21, 2015, 09:04:33 PM
Of course it is!  I still watch it once a year.  O0 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on December 22, 2015, 12:14:53 AM
Quote from: airboy on December 21, 2015, 09:04:33 PM
Of course it is!  I still watch it once a year.  O0

INCONCEIVABLE!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

The last time I was into dating, whether or not the woman liked Princess bride was one of my evaluation questions

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've never seen it in its entirety.  Just bits and pieces here and there.  However, I think the OCD nature of gaming nerds means that I've had pretty much the whole script repeatedly quoted to me since the film's release.