Matrix Holdiday Sales - Now available

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 25, 2015, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: DoctorQuest on November 27, 2015, 11:05:47 AM
I picked up ATG. The concept of the game engine has always intrigued me and for the price I thought it was worth a try.

ATG is the very definition of replayability...  Game play is pretty click-filled however.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Bardolph

I own ATG but haven't gotten round to it yet. That said I played enough of its predecessor People's Tactics to convince me to buy ATG.

It doesn't specifically represent any historical battles, true. But it does stuff few other wargames even bother to try. The ability to move commanders around to make best use of their abilities, which is balanced by periods of declining unit effectiveness from screwing with the chain of command.
You have control over the composition of your units to a degree seldom seen in computer wargames. Want mechanised infantry? Add some trucks or tracks to your straight leg units. Integral arty support or dedicated arty units? Your choice.
Do you want to keep units in the field with a constant supply of fresh recruits at the cost of diluting your veteran's experience, or keep ever dwindling veteran units in the field to take advantage of their veteran status? Up to you.
Good stuff.

I often found myself wishing there was less clicking, but I couldn't really figure any way around it either.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 26, 2015, 01:43:33 PM
If you don't already have it I'd also highly recommend Gary Grigsby's World At War: A World Divided at only £7.90 / $9.99 - Global scale WW2 that you can conceivably play to conclusion in one (longish) sitting, a bit different to Gary's other games  :)

It is quite literally Ultimate Axis vs Allies, even with much of the same art (including the slightly-off-center nation chits), but the names sanded off.

I mean that as a compliment.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

berto

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 26, 2015, 09:55:50 PM
For any Steel Panthers fans the Steel Panthers World At War General Edition is a great deal @ $24.99 USD. There are four dynamically linked campaigns covering different areas of WW2 and each campaign comes in a sort of 'story wrapper' with maps and related media/reports/period photos. For some reason the campaigns are not listed as to theme on the website but I recall an NA campaign, a Screaming Eagles campaign, and a Guadalcanal one.

The SPWAW scene is confusing as all heck.  ~15 years ago or more, I had SP with the Guadalcanal (Operation Watchtower?) campaign.  I'd be tempted to buy this again on sale for the Guadalcanal campaign alone.  BUT, how does this compendium (a) play on Windows 7 and (b) on modern, wide-screen, hi-res (1920x1080, in my case) monitors?  I'd hate to purchase this, only to discover it simply doesn't work.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Staggerwing

Those are good questions. The Camo Workshop versions of SP (WINSP-WW2 and WinSP-MBT) were made to run on higher-rez monitors if you bought the enhanced versions from Shrapnel Games. AFA know SP-WAW has been version 8.40 for quite a while (9-10 years?). Hopefully it will run under Win7/8/10 but you might have to run it in a window or set a lower-fez compatibility. The SP-WAW forums at matrix might be a good place to ask. There is a free version of just SP-WAW you can D/l from the site to try the game out. That doesn't guarantee that the campaign wrapper with all the maps and whatnot will work but it is a start.

Install in order:

1) Full game v.8.20: http://www.gamershell.com/download_6363.shtml

2) Patch 8.30: ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/SteelPanthersWorldAtWar/SteelPanthersWorldAtWarUpdate-v830.zip

3) Patch 8.40: ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/SteelPanthersWorldAtWar/SteelPanthersWorldAtWarUpdate-v840.zip
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Toonces on November 27, 2015, 08:29:11 PM
Is Command Ops 2 on sale?  Price?

Base game is free...but the commander pack that includes a bunch of the scenario packs is $60 right now..tempted myself

Staggerwing

Those guys are over at Lock-n-Load now. http://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=91

The Command Pack is on sale for $60 USD, a $39 savings.

Doh! Ninja'd by Grim.Reaper!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

there were 2 loyalty coupons emailed to people for the new modules. I just looked, the commanders pack is $60.00 for 5 modules,  that's a great price. Buying the individual modules range from $29.99 - $34.99 each. the commanders pack comes with the following modules:

Highway to the Reich
Highway to the Reich covers the famous 1944 Operation Market Garden. Fought in Holland it saw the Allied First Airborne Corps attempt to capture the cities of Eindhoven, Nijmegen and the ultimate prize Arnhem, which lay on the far side of the mighty Rhine River. Can you lay down a carpet of elite paratroopers to secure Hell's Highway and drive the British 30th Corps into Germany and win the war by Christmas. Or as Feld Marshall Model can you scramble the mixed bag of German forces, commit your elite SS panzers to retake the key bridges and stop the boldest Allied offensive of the war. Contains 13 scenarios.

Foothills of the Gods
Foothills of the Gods covers the German offensive to conquer Greece in 1941. As Feldmarschall List can you drive your 40th Army Korps hard and fast through the mountain passes, around Mount Olympus and seize Athens to secure the southern flank for the coming invasion of the Soviet Union. Or as the resource strapped commander of the Middle East, Gen Wavell, can you hold the passes with your tough, veteran ANZACs and achieve what no Allied army has been able to do in the war so far and stop the Germans. Also covers the 1940 Italian offensive through the Balkan approaches to Greece. Contains 19 scenarios.

The Cauldron
The Cauldron covers the famous battles in the Mediterranean and North Africa during 1941/42, including the island invasions of Crete and Leros, operations Battleaxe, Brevity and Crusader in North Africa and hypothetical invasions of Malta. As General Student in charge of the XI Fliegerkorps can you pull off the most stunning airborne victory of WW2. Or as Major General Gott in charge of the famous Desert Rats 7th Armoured Division can you prevail over the Deutches Afrikakorps in the desert sands of Libya. Contains 20 Scenarios.

Ride of the Valkyries
Ride of the Valkyries covers Hitler's last offensive in what became known as the 1944 Battle of the Bulge. It focuses on the northern shoulder. As Obersturmbannfuhrer Peiper can you race your elite 1st SS panzer group and force a crossing of the Meuse river and turn the tide in the West. Or as General Ridgeway can you take charge and shore up the crumbling defences with your XVIII Airborne Corps and use the reinforcing 3rd Armoured Division to drive back the German forces. Contains 12 scenarios.

Bastogne
Bastogne covers the southern shoulder of the 1944 Battle of the Bulge. As General von Manteuffel can you win the race to Bastogne with your 5th Panzer Army and achieve the victory needed to stave off Germany's collapse? Or as General Patton can you drive your 3rd Army north through winter blizzards to relieve Bastogne and cave in the biggest German penetration on the Western front. Contains 12 scenarios.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

got scooped.$12 a module, it ain't getting any lower.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on November 27, 2015, 08:37:36 PM
got scooped.

What was the criteria for getting loyalty coupons and what was the discont?

-budd-

Got it through email. the westwall was 15% off, KOAD was 20%. westwall coupon has expired, end of october, i should of used it. KOAD coupon i believe is good until end of December. No idea how they decided who got them, buying 1 game, 2 games, no idea about the criteria. Check your email and spam folder.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on November 27, 2015, 08:42:24 PM
Got it through email. the westwall was 15% off, KOAD was 20%. westwall coupon has expired, end of october, i should of used it. KOAD coupon i believe is good until end of December. No idea how they decided who got them, buying 1 game, 2 games, no idea about the criteria.

Ok thanks.

Boggit

Quote from: Con on November 25, 2015, 06:02:01 PM
Just checked and War in the West is discounted 25%.  Even though I struggle with WiE and have not given it the time it deserves to understand it I am tempted to buy WiW (knowing it will be unplayed for years).

Interestingly enough the Matrix sales seem to be showing up on Steam as well but I noticed WiW is not on Steam (even though WiE and all expansions are).  Is this correct?

Con
FWIW WitW is not as monstrous as it first looks. It's not sooo different from WitE, but somehow seems to play smoother, and the air war is greatly streamlined. The Torch add on gives a number of smaller scenarios that are nice to cut your teeth on. They don't demand you spend half your life playing them either!
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JudgeDredd

No-one interested in World in Flames at $70? It's 30% off.  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath