I am looking for a solitaire wargame

Started by DennisS, November 24, 2015, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Quote from: DennisS on November 25, 2015, 12:43:23 PM
I have TAL, it may be my second current favorite solitaire game, besides Mage Knight (and the expansion) Terrific concept, but I need to relearn how to play every time I open the box.

Not needing to relearn the rules every time you set a solitaire game up would be a sure sign your collection is too small  >:D

I'm setting up a TAL campaign at the moment (show of force - Iran 2014). One of my favorite features of the Leader games is that they are amongst the easiest to get back up to speed with.

If I had to pick just one, I'd say that Steel Wolves is my favorite solitaire...so far.

DennisS

Quote from: Rekim on November 26, 2015, 03:21:28 PM
Quote from: DennisS on November 25, 2015, 12:43:23 PM
I have TAL, it may be my second current favorite solitaire game, besides Mage Knight (and the expansion) Terrific concept, but I need to relearn how to play every time I open the box.

Not needing to relearn the rules every time you set a solitaire game up would be a sure sign your collection is too small  >:D

I'm setting up a TAL campaign at the moment (show of force - Iran 2014). One of my favorite features of the Leader games is that they are amongst the easiest to get back up to speed with.

If I had to pick just one, I'd say that Steel Wolves is my favorite solitaire...so far.

You may be right. When I break out Carriers!, I need to spend the better part of four hours reviewing the mammoth rule book!

A few others, like Patton's Best, or B17: Queen of the Skies, I can pick up and play immediately.

Tal and the leader series are no brainers for me...my biggest issue is sorting out the hundreds and hundreds of counters. I really do need to invests in about a thousand small plastic bags!

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on November 26, 2015, 03:50:50 PM

Tal and the leader series are no brainers for me...my biggest issue is sorting out the hundreds and hundreds of counters. I really do need to invests in about a thousand small plastic bags!

Buy counter trays.  Or hobby "bead boxes" at a local crafts store, if those can fit in the box.  DVG sell their own "deep dish" counter trays, which I tend to use for games that have larger than average counters/tokens.  Otherwise, sometimes it's better to just use a pair of the thinner GMT ones.

They may cost about $2-$3 apiece, and may require a pair in the case of the regular-sized counter trays, but it's so much easier to pop the lid and get going after sorting/storing with them. 

For games with larger non-bookcase sized boxes, I try to use the larger bead boxes, especially since the cardboard pieces are often large & those have larger spaces.  With solo games like Mage Knight and Darkest Night, which require drawing tokens, sometimes at random, I can just leave them in the open box (after shuffling in random case) and draw straight from there while playing.  No need to pull them out beforehand and dig.  O0

DennisS

Bead boxes is a  nice call out. I will look into this. One pain in the ass is when the boxes won't fit into the game boxes. This is not good.

The first thing I do with any game is to throw out the filler...if I don't need the cardboard to play the game, out it goes.

ArizonaTank

Source of the Nile is another thought.  Dated, but still a fun solitaire game. Between boardgame geek and vassal, there is enough for you to try without buying.  Good copies on ebay for $29.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

DennisS

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 26, 2015, 06:51:28 PM
Source of the Nile is another thought.  Dated, but still a fun solitaire game. Between boardgame geek and vassal, there is enough for you to try without buying.  Good copies on ebay for $29.

Got it. Or rather, had it for 20+ years. It, along with almost 100 other games were unceremoniously dumped into a dumpster when I retired in 1994. Yep...in Alaska, overweight by several thousand pounds, and couldn't ship them back to the lower 48. If I told you the complete roster of the games I just threw away, many of you would get a little emotional. Avalon Hill, Victory Games, SPI, Flying Buffalo, GMT, you name it. In particular, I owned almost the entire catalog of AH and Victory games.     :(

The Source of the Nile was one of my favorites, along with Blackbeard, and Gunslinger! All great games.

avrotim

currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

ArizonaTank

Quote from: DennisS on November 26, 2015, 07:39:47 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 26, 2015, 06:51:28 PM

Got it. Or rather, had it for 20+ years. It, along with almost 100 other games were unceremoniously dumped into a dumpster when I retired in 1994. Yep...in Alaska, overweight by several thousand pounds, and couldn't ship them back to the lower 48. If I told you the complete roster of the games I just threw away, many of you would get a little emotional. Avalon Hill, Victory Games, SPI, Flying Buffalo, GMT, you name it. In particular, I owned almost the entire catalog of AH and Victory games.     :(

The Source of the Nile was one of my favorites, along with Blackbeard, and Gunslinger! All great games.

I dumped all my games one point in my life as well. I got a job in Japan, and just could not take them with me.  Happily, I have since restored my collection...and then some... :) Including another copy of Source of the Nile.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Rekim

I don't think anyone has mentioned Enemy Action: Ardennes

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68820/enemy-action-ardennes

It's new, it's a Butterfield, and has many glowing player reviews for it up on the Geek. I really enjoyed RAF and expect Enemy Action will be considered one of the classics before long too.

DennisS

OK..next question. It appears that Beserker Games will only take PayPal. I have never had a PayPal account. What needs to be done here?

Should I use a throwaway debit card for purchases, or is PayPal secure enough for my personal Mastercard?

Barthheart

PayPal is secure enough. I've used them for years and had one problems.
You don't even need a full account as I believe they can still just process yer card through PP without creating one.

DennisS

Quote from: Barthheart on November 27, 2015, 02:32:28 PM
You don't even need a full account as I believe they can still just process yer card through PP without creating one.

Outstanding!!! I just went over to the Beserker Games site, and you're quite correct. I can use a "guest" account, and it will work just fine!

I can share with you all, that it is just a matter of time now before I purchase most of their solitaire games! I have a problem, you see.....     :uglystupid2:

ArizonaTank

+1 on paypal. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: DennisS on November 27, 2015, 04:53:12 PM

Outstanding!!! I just went over to the Beserker Games site, and you're quite correct. I can use a "guest" account, and it will work just fine!

I can share with you all, that it is just a matter of time now before I purchase most of their solitaire games! I have a problem, you see.....     :uglystupid2:

Looking forward to hearing how these games play.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 28, 2015, 08:23:54 AM

+1 on paypal.

I generally prefer to use PayPal than direct CC transactions over the web.  Just adds another layer of digital paper trail if anything doesn't stack up.  Plus you don't have to type all your CC info in every time.