Creative ideas needed to storing cards from card based games

Started by W8taminute, January 04, 2014, 02:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I'm about to head to Target to pick up some card storage sheets.  You know the ones that you put into 3 ringed binders to store baseball, pokemon, etc. cards in?

Does anyone here have any other clever card storage tricks?  I'm looking to store my Star Wars the Living Card Game cards into categories by affiliation, target objectives, misc cards etc.  The box the game comes in is quite spacious so I was toying with the idea of buying card sized plastic boxes to put each objective set into.  That would require however 30+ boxes!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Capn Darwin

Depending on the stack size we have used zip lock sandwich bags. Especially the 1/2 size bags.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Bison

I need to order a metric ton of card sleeves for my Star Wars cards.  What I should be doing is breaking them down so I know how many I need to order.  The plan is to order one style for each of the factions and such.  I think I'll need something on the order of 500 sleeves.

W8taminute

^^The sandwich bag idea sounds viable in this case as the goal is to break down the faction affiliation cards into separate groups.  Thanks!

^I hear you Bison.  Sounds like you are going through what I'm trying to accomplish.  I went to target yesterday and picked up 70 card sleeve sheets for 9.99.  Here's what I got so far.  Sorry for the blur, my hand was too shaky taking the image.  As you can see one sheet can house a complete affiliation (in this case Rebel Alliance Navy) with the objective missions all in their own compartment.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Bison

Yeah, but I'm going with individual sleeves like these ones.

Well maybe not Boba Fett because I cannot find any on Amazon.  I'm thinking of doing something like the movie ones like this

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Art-Sleeves-Strikes/dp/1616614714/ref=sr_1_17?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1389013321&sr=1-17&keywords=star+wars+card+game

I just think in the end having them individually protected is an easier and safer way of playing and storing the cards. 

Bison

I'm also considering individual sleeves for my combat commander cards.

bayonetbrant

If you need to separate out a bunch of stacks of small cards, I'm a big fan of the bead bags you can get at craft stores like Michael's and AC Moore.  You can usually get 100 bags for about $2 and they're just small zip-tops that'll hold 20-80 cards (depending on the size bag you get).
I use them for all sorts of FFG stuff, since those games always come with a metric shitload of cards / counters / tokens.
I also use them for Manouvre cards, and lots of other small counters
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
If you need to separate out a bunch of stacks of small cards, I'm a big fan of the bead bags you can get at craft stores like Michael's and AC Moore.  You can usually get 100 bags for about $2 and they're just small zip-tops that'll hold 20-80 cards (depending on the size bag you get).
I use them for all sorts of FFG stuff, since those games always come with a metric shitload of cards / counters / tokens.
I also use them for Manouvre cards, and lots of other small counters

This.   

They're not quite as large as sandwich ziplock bags so they fit a stack of cards or counters quite well.  You can also buy a baggie of 100 relatively cheaply. 

Another option is to buy the clear plastic card storage boxes like these from UltraPro:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-100-Count-Plastic-Box/dp/B0002TT3L6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1389242236&sr=8-14&keywords=card+storage+box

..but size may be an issue since they are fairly thick and rigid.  I recall using these types for storing specific pre-made decks of CCG cards years ago, and just using the large cardboard card storage boxes to keep the general supply of non-used cards separated by type in each.  Such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/BCW-500-count-Storage-Box/dp/B004ZA0CKE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1389242236&sr=8-9&keywords=card+storage+box

However, the latter ones most likely wouldn't fit in your game box unless you pulled all the molding & packaging out.. perhaps.

I also prefer the thinner clear plastic card protector sleeves.  You can still see the card backs, so you don't have to worry about mixing different art designs thus inadvertently 'marking' them.  But more notably, the colored sleeves are usually thicker too.  I find it easier to shuffle the thinner clear ones than the thick colored/artsy ones and they're cheaper too.  That makes me feel easier about using them for things such as the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game's character skill cards for marking them with permanent marker to denote skill gains. 

I need to stock up on some more 100-count packs of these soon.   ???

W8taminute

Nefaro these are all great suggestions.  I particularly like the plastic hinged boxes but wish they came with a 20 or less count sized box.  My goal is to keep the various faction card sub-groups separated from each other to facilitate faster game setup.  Each faction sub-group typically has a minimum of 6 cards.

I suppose though the individual sleeves might work especially if they come color coded. 

Bison

Yeah that's my logic of a different star wars theme for each faction and it has the added bonus of protecting each card individually from spills, greasy fingers and whatnot.