Running thread: Quality Long-form Journalism

Started by bayonetbrant, October 19, 2015, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Emeraldlis

Quote from: mirth on December 18, 2017, 11:49:05 PM
Tough read

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/18/sports/everest-deaths.html

That was an extremely long article! Lol, more like a short story! But what I did read of it was extremely interesting. I'm always fascinated with everest, and why people risk their lives to get to the top. That was heartbreaking though, for the family's left behind when the person climbing everest dies, so sad.
The video clips and pics of the mountain were awesome, really spectacular  :dreamer: enjoyed the perusal  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

mirth

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 04, 2018, 08:49:44 AM
not as long as I'd prefer, but very interesting

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/science/native-americans-beringia-siberia.html

It was an interesting read , I like a good archaeological dig ! We studied Native American history in highschool ...in history , go figure ! And I've always had a fascination with their culture and way of life , even before I studied it in school . I thought the map was a great addition to that article , showing the lost land mass of Beringia . I've heard the theory before that they came across a land bridge from Siberia , that has long since disappeared , but it's cool to have that theory confirmed in their dna . I enjoyed the read  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

mirth

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 05, 2018, 10:51:09 AM
Frankie Lymon

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/teen-idol-frankie-lymon-tragic-rise-fall-tells-truth-1950s-america-180967506/

That's so sad , I had no idea he died so young from heroin addiction  :'( I've watched that black and white clip before on YouTube of him singing . Every time I see the 'T' on the jumpers , it makes me think of the t-birds from grease ! I know it stands for teenagers though in this case ! I've seen one clip of him singing , and you can see some of the girls in the audience pulling a face . It's very sad that he had to deal with that kind of racism .As did a lot of others .

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Emeraldlis

^I like a good archeological plot twist ! Good article . I've been to Sir Francis Drake's home in Devon , legend has it , that he was supposed to be playing bowls on his front lawn when the Spanish Armada was spotted ( from st michaels mount in penzance .Ive been there too ) I have a small wooden ornament that I bought from the gift shop at Drakes house . It's carved from a yew tree that was standing in Drake's day .Apparently there was a storm that brought a row of yew trees down , and the trust that owns the house decided to use the wood for carvings to make money for the estate . I liked the map in the article of some of the NC coastline , and the sailing ship on the map looks great .

bayonetbrant