Running thread: Quality Long-form Journalism

Started by bayonetbrant, October 19, 2015, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

Those Atlantic articles are like Lays potato chips.

This article really resonated with me, and the challenges I'm facing with my 15 year-old and his phone/social media/etc.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on October 27, 2017, 07:24:26 AM
This article really resonated with me, and the challenges I'm facing with my 15 year-old and his phone/social media/etc.

you really ought to read this one
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/11/why-kids-sext/380798/

bayonetbrant

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 10, 2017, 08:36:49 AM
email bombs

https://www.propublica.org/article/cheap-tricks-the-low-cost-of-internet-harassment

Ugh. That intro rubbed me totally the wrong way. I don't care if her poor widdle arms were tingling from overexertion in typing and really don't give a shite about her yoga poses. That's some crap reporting, there.

Toonces

^ Somebody didn't read past the first paragraph.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Toonces on November 10, 2017, 01:26:07 PM
^ Somebody didn't read past the first paragraph.   ::)

QuoteIt was 10 a.m. on a hot, humid Tuesday in August when I decided I could finally relax. After a frantic weekend of finishing a big story — and typing so much that my forearms tingled — I needed to decompress.

Yep.

I get embellishment - hell I do it all the time, but I don't consider my pieces to be anywhere near quality journalism.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man.