Running thread: Quality Long-form Journalism

Started by bayonetbrant, October 19, 2015, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I'm going to have to read this one 2-3 more times before I think I'll have most of his points.  Some of it seems superficially farcical, but I have a feeling there's a deeper meaning I'm missing just yet.

Either way, it's making me think, and I'm finding it fascinating
https://medium.com/deep-code/situational-assessment-2017-trump-edition-d189d24fc046#.jew1eih2s
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 13, 2017, 07:40:05 PM
I'm going to have to read this one 2-3 more times before I think I'll have most of his points.  Some of it seems superficially farcical, but I have a feeling there's a deeper meaning I'm missing just yet.

Either way, it's making me think, and I'm finding it fascinating
https://medium.com/deep-code/situational-assessment-2017-trump-edition-d189d24fc046#.jew1eih2s

linked to this, and a fascinating comparison that I think is borderline brilliant in its analysis
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/5nktdn/why_hollywood_is_really_freaking_out_over_trump/

or maybe I'm just punch-drunk on reading too many idiotic pre-curriculum essays...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Toonces

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 21, 2017, 05:36:34 PM
Not so much 'journalism' but I wanted to stash for later

https://medium.com/hi-my-name-is-jon/how-to-become-happier-healthier-and-more-successful-in-60-days-1d21933b51d3?source=reading_list---writing------1-4---------

It's pretty good; reminds me a lot of that thought piece you posted two new year's ago. 

I don't know that I can do the whole 60 day program in 60 days, but there are definitely some nuggets worth incorporating.  I like the side hustle idea...not sure how I'd do it, but it's a good idea.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on March 05, 2017, 08:53:12 AM
I like the side hustle idea...not sure how I'd do it, but it's a good idea.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant