Main Menu

X-52 problem

Started by JudgeDredd, March 18, 2018, 08:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So I noticed that when I exit a game, on occasion, my mouse would go sluggish, the system would be unresponsive (the mouse would move - sluggishly - but clicking would result in nothing) and there'd be occasional beeping noises. The keyboard would be fine though. Loading task manager showed No processes running at all.

In the end, it required a reboot of my system.

I've now tracked this down to my X-52. Whenever I unplug my Saitek X-52 Pro flight stick after playing a game, the system goes into it's unresponsive mode as described above. This ONLY happens with my X-52 (unplugging my steering wheel is fine).

Bloody annoying. Effectively coming out of any space or flight sim results in a hard reboot.

:pullhair:
Alba gu' brath

Greybriar

I have had no experience with a Saitek X-52 Pro flight stick but most every time I install a device on my PCs, Windows attempts (and usually succeeds unless I'm very careful in trying to prevent it) to install its own generic drivers instead of the drivers provided for the device by the manufacturer. This has caused me headaches in the past (and also to use words I rarely use). But I thought you might want to consider reinstalling the device drivers.

Hope that helps you out.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JudgeDredd

Thx Greybriar

I hoped some people on here may have an X-52 and maybe suffered the same issue. It took some time to track down. Initially I thought it was a particular game (DCS springs to mind which had an update around the same time I noticed this).

Then I thought it was perhaps related to the new graphics card and/or drivers as that was installed before this issue came to light.

I then noticed it recently when I fired up Battle of Stalingrad and then exited. So I decided to do some specific testing on the issue and spent almost half a day implementing various situations to see what the results where - and the upshot was, it's when I pull the plug for my X-52. It's not an issue disconnecting my steering wheel - so it's not a USB thing

I have to revisit DCS and Elite - but I'm sure it's X-52 linked and not Battle of Stalingrad's implementation or use of my X-52 because this issue happened some time ago with DCS
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on April 10, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 10, 2018, 12:45:02 AM
I'm almost done with flight simming tbh. There's alot of weird shit happening on my system when I unplug my X-52.

I heard, from an X-52 user, that there have been wiring problems developing with them over time.  Causing issues in the X-52.

Can't recall if it was some bad cold-soldering or what.  Just that people were having to get new HOTASes because the wiring in their X-52s were shorting out or some shit. 

Maybe it's just your X-52's wiring screwing up, too?
Thanks Nef...but I don't think that's the issue. It is an old stick  and it was second hand when I bought it though.

The stick itself works absolutely fine in game. The problem is when I unplug from USB. All sorts of weird shit happens to my system. Sluggish mouse, beeping when moving/clicking (but not at the same time as moving/clicking...kind of delayed)

I found an article (directed at Win10 users, not Win7) which said using beta drivers helped their issue (same issue as mine I gathered) and yep - that seemed to work. Except this time when exiting, Chrome was non responsive (though weirdly, IE was fine).

So with these BETA drivers (older I thought because they had a lower driver number...the article I found could've been from a few years ago), I could fire up a game and come out and I would be able to use my system (click other icons and open other programs )...no sluggish mouse or beeping. However, opening Chrome opened a blank page. When I closed Chrome and opened it again, I got nothing, though half a dozen Chrome processes would show in Task Manager. The system would require another reboot.

The other thing I noticed (I haven't nailed this as a pattern yet) is that Battle of Stalingrad would sometimes start and other times not, being stuck on the initial Loading screen. Also, on exiting Stalingrad, I noticed it was still running in Task Manager even though I exited the program normally and this would also result in a reboot (if I wanted to play Stalingrad again) <- this could be a red herring with regard to the joystick though.

I'm trying to isolate the issue to see if I can identify the problem, but it's very time consuming as often I need to reboot my system.

Currently I've removed the Saitek (Logitech?) software from my system at the moment and will continue to test when I get a moment.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 11, 2018, 12:32:11 AM
The other thing I noticed (I haven't nailed this as a pattern yet) is that Battle of Stalingrad would sometimes start and other times not, being stuck on the initial Loading screen. Also, on exiting Stalingrad, I noticed it was still running in Task Manager even though I exited the program normally and this would also result in a reboot (if I wanted to play Stalingrad again) <- this could be a red herring with regard to the joystick though.

This is a problem with BOS and should have nothing to do with your other issues.
I have the same problem (BOS in one out of four times doesn't start and I have to terminate it using Task Manager) and I don't have an X-52.

I have an old joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) and wanted a replacement.  While searching online for info, multiple sources claimed the Saitek X-52 had technical problems (poor quality control ?).

Not ready to spend 300 € or more on a Thrustmaster Warthog and worried about the Saitek, I ordered a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas.
Amazon Germany (available in English) sells this one for 106 € (160 € with rudder pedals) (https://www.amazon.de/Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS-System-Software/dp/B01H6KXGDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=hotas&language=en_GB&qid=1523433862&s=computers&sr=1-1).

Should be delivered tomorrow.

bob48

I've been looking at replacing my Saitek X45, but like you, I have been put off the X52 by some poor reviews. I am seriously considering the Thrustmaster, so I'd be interested to see what you think of it once you have it up and running.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 11, 2018, 03:15:56 AM

This is a problem with BOS and should have nothing to do with your other issues.
I have the same problem (BOS in one out of four times doesn't start and I have to terminate it using Task Manager) and I don't have an X-52.

I have an old joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) and wanted a replacement.  While searching online for info, multiple sources claimed the Saitek X-52 had technical problems (poor quality control ?).

Not ready to spend 300 € or more on a Thrustmaster Warthog and worried about the Saitek, I ordered a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas.
Amazon Germany (available in English) sells this one for 106 € (160 € with rudder pedals) (https://www.amazon.de/Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS-System-Software/dp/B01H6KXGDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=hotas&language=en_GB&qid=1523433862&s=computers&sr=1-1).

Should be delivered tomorrow.
Thanks for that Pete. That's at least a weight off my shoulders and closes that avenue (BOS not starting) - at least as an issue with the X-52.

I'd like to know what your Thrustmaster is like also - I may be in the business for a new stick one day soon.
Alba gu' brath

mbar

I've read that x52 should be used in USB2 ports instead of USB3. I had the x52 (not pro) and it seemed to work okay plugging and unplugging from a USB3 port but maybe that would be worth checking.

I've moved to the TM 16000.M because the pinky switch went out on the x52.

JudgeDredd

I've tried different ports (USB2/3).
Alba gu' brath

Father Ted

Quote from: bob48 on April 11, 2018, 05:09:23 AM
I've been looking at replacing my Saitek X45, but like you, I have been put off the X52 by some poor reviews. I am seriously considering the Thrustmaster, so I'd be interested to see what you think of it once you have it up and running.

I have had a  T16000 for some years now and like it a lot.  Mine is not the HOTAS version, but I think the stick is essentially the same.   I did struggle initially as the springs are quite firm, but I soon got used to that.

The T16000 has three things in its favour (IMO): it can be set up lefty or righty, it's relatively cheap, and the HALL-effect sensors it has instead of potentiometers increases its longevity.

I'll just add that, whilst I'm no great shakes as a sim-pilot, flightsims are my my main gaming activity, so the stick has had a lot of use.

JudgeDredd

The X-52 is wasted on me anyway. I never went to college to study the use of their software to setup specific games and specific controls and key strokes!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Jesus - what exactly is the connection between my X52 and Chrome.

If I plug my X52 in and then fire up Chrome, Chrome opens with a blank page and does not respond and my system requires a reboot.
If I fire up Chrome and then plug in my X52, Chrome becomes unresponsive and I have to reboot.

*Note*
Feel free to assume that anything I post here is rhetorical. I'm not really looking for answers (unless anyone has one)...just documenting what I find  :-"
Alba gu' brath

Father Ted

Possibly your  X-52 has become sentient and you're witnessing the genesis of the Rise of the Machines?

Actually,  they're known for having a weak link between the stick and the throttle.  Perhaps if that's in an on/off state, Windows is constantly re-acquiring the controller, causing the lock-ups etc?

JudgeDredd

Might be....I've noticed the lights flash on and then off on the throttle
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

The login issues with BoS isn't due to your HOTAS.  I've had the same login hangs with it numerous times before, and I'm using a CH HOTAS stick, throttle, and pedals. 

Was almost like clockwork the last few times I tried to log into BoS, awhile back.  Had to try once or twice more almost every time.

I think it's just their shitty Login & DRM system that chokes regularly.  Strongk Russian Bugs.   At least I eventually get in.  :-"

Currently I've removed the Saitek (Logitech?) software from my system at the moment and will continue to test when I get a moment.

Didn't Saitek start going tits-up and sold out to another company in the past year or two?  I'm surprised if their hardware is still getting driver updates from the new owners.  ???