Feedback on AAR for Civilization V, Gods & Kings

Started by bayonetbrant, December 16, 2012, 05:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

and somehow Windy missed this week's episode... ;)

y'all do know that we have a front page that was update every day or so, right?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I completely agree regarding the scout units. I usually find myself having them attack Barbarian units to get the EXP they need, and you know how long that can take, especially if they're in an encampment on a hill.

I had hoped that the antiquity sites would include battle sites, and maybe water tiles, at least appearing in certain eras (Modern?), where battles were fought and ships were sunk. As far as I can tell the only antiquity sites are on tiles where there were barbarian encampments or some poor civ's city ruins. Is that right?

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 27, 2013, 05:59:45 AM
and somehow Windy missed this week's episode... ;)

y'all do know that we have a front page that was update every day or so, right?

Jeeze loueez, it's been work work work work for me , and now it's my faery guilt mother dropping g- bombs on me.... I'll get to it....

But since I am here I played Austria with the intent of marrying into all the citystates.... Holy frig it's expensive to do
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bayonetbrant

it's more expensive in BNW than it was just in G+K.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

So there you are.... caught in the doldrums of early middle game.... my own worse time. Its here that I lose focus on what kind of empire I am (i.e., what kind of victory I want) and wander all over the tech and culture/policy tree. I also get wishy-washy with my fellow empires and city states and tend to overlook transgressions.

The two tools that I use frequently is the demographics screen and the global politics screen to keep me up to date on world affairs. Helps you kick a neighbour when they're getting ganked or give them some timely aide.

No sitting on your laurels Bayo boy! Kick some ass now while you're ahead early....   you are ahead aren't you???

BanzaiCat

^ I play much the same way. I don't like to just set myself into one path and follow it religiously (ba-dum-tish). Things tend to change quickly and the AI always pulls something that pisses me off, like plopping a city down in a prime area that's well within my area and far away from theirs (telling them not to settle new cities near me is apparently a grievous insult and they tend to ignore it regardless). I'll almost always resort to arms, especially when I get Artillery, to effect a little lebenstraum. If that's successful, and it usually is because I build up way too large an army to fail, I'll end up conquering half the world before I realize dammit, I wanted to try a cultural victory, or a scientific one!

I've probably won 80% of my games by conquering everything, maybe 20% from science. I've never once played to a cultural victory.

Windigo

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 29, 2013, 12:20:09 PM
^ I play much the same way. I don't like to just set myself into one path and follow it religiously (ba-dum-tish). Things tend to change quickly and the AI always pulls something that pisses me off, like plopping a city down in a prime area that's well within my area and far away from theirs (telling them not to settle new cities near me is apparently a grievous insult and they tend to ignore it regardless). I'll almost always resort to arms, especially when I get Artillery, to effect a little lebenstraum. If that's successful, and it usually is because I build up way too large an army to fail, I'll end up conquering half the world before I realize dammit, I wanted to try a cultural victory, or a scientific one!

I've probably won 80% of my games by conquering everything, maybe 20% from science. I've never once played to a cultural victory.

Cultural victory... WTF?   Death by "Dancing with the Stars"?

bayonetbrant

I've won several of my games by completing 5 policy trees and the Utopia Project for a cultural victory

LongBlade

What would be the equivalent of a Cultural Victory in real life?

Most of the world already has access to Dancing with the Stars. Does that mean America wins?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on September 29, 2013, 09:21:55 PM
What would be the equivalent of a Cultural Victory in real life?

Most of the world already has access to Dancing with the Stars. Does that mean America wins?

You guys get those freaking Muslim extremists in line and it'll be staring you straight in the face

bayonetbrant

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 03, 2013, 12:20:47 PM
es gibt heute noch eine AAR für Civ fünf

I did not have sexual relations with that woman? No matter what bayo's AAR says?

bayonetbrant

eyebiter

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 14, 2013, 09:59:26 AM
one more!  live today!
Aw, that sucks the save-file went bad.  :( 

It's been a fun read, though.  Good show brant, and thanks for doing it! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces