Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Last update: Aug 20th 2013

Co-thread over at Shrapnel: Grogheads slow game

Host:PBEM Llamaserver. A_Dominion_Of_Grogs
Map: Land of Legends
How Often on Turns: slow 2 day interval.
Number of Players: 10
Mods:  CBM 1.94 mod (if we agree) and I personally use the Streamers and Standards Mod (llamabeast version), Upgraded Sprites Mod  and the Community Sprites Mod.
You can download my modfolder from here: Mods Folder

Non-Standard Settings: Special Site freq. 45%, Hall of Fame entries 15, Renaming is allowed, No graphs, Independents 7
Victory Conditions: Last one standing
Diplomacy Policy: None; do as you wish, keeping in mind consequences in future games, as well as later in that game (if you stab someone early, any alliance later in that game is likely to prove less trustworthy). Trades should be fulfilled
Cheesy Tricks: New players won't know them and won't be ready for them. This is things like sending 50 bad items to someone right as they put up forge of the ancients to make them waste gems; using scouts to constantly siege someone's fortress; and there are probably a few others I historically read about but have since forgotten.

NATIONS (11)
Byrdman57: Midgard
Corwin123: Utgard!
Ogaburan: Arcosephale
Huw the Poo: Ashen Empire 
JasonPratt: Jomon Daimyos
Nefaro: Pangaea
Parone: C'tis 
Phobos: Bogarus
Undercovergeek: Pythium
Vlam: Gath
Yskonyn: Caelum

Note: Please mind that this is supposed to be a newbie friendly game, so leave the stronger nations for the newbies and be so kind as to choose a weaker nation if you have enough experience with Dom 3. We should all be able to learn from eachother.

Note2: The hosting time limits are slightly indicative, but we are pressed to make them whenever possible. In other words; if you can't make the turn limit, be sure to post in this thread to let me know in advance so I can extend the time in the llamaserver.
Better yet is sending me an email, which you have gotten in a PM.
I have an irregular working schedule with stops abroad sometimes, so I might put in the odd request for a few more hours/days as well. I hope we can all be flexible about this. If not, then please say so up front.

Note3: (By Lung Drago) As this is a newbie game I optimistically do not expect to meet problems regarding using of exploits that I stumbled upon reading on these forums. But just for the record, I dislike such behavior. Stay fair, people. If you cannot swallow a defeat, then you will be a newbie forever. In spirit of my previous sentence, please do not go AI after a single major battle lost
I will keep this fist post updated with status changes and info as it comes through.

Note4: Remember to keep an eye on the turn interval. I will update changes in interval in this thread.
Be sure to report EARLY if you will not be able to send in a turn in time.
WE CANNOT USE THE ROLLBACK FEATURE! Due to possible savegame corruption.

(Thanks to 3V4JKZ2 for the above format  )

Note 5:
If we do go vanilla I recommend to go for Worthy Heroes too (included in CBM already) to make recruiting Hero's better balanced for all nations.

Note 6:
I want to put a very good project into the spotlight made by a player called momfreak.
Mod Inspector

This webpage enables you to select some mods that you will be using for the game and then display accurate information about all the spells and items in the game.
You can also view the stock vanilla game data with this webpage.
Super handy as reference.

Note 7: When the game is setup you will all need to send your pretender to Llamaserver.
You can send your pretender file as an attachment to: (Put in the name of the game in the title, leave the body empty)

pretenders@llamaserver.net

You can find your pretender file in your Dominions 3\savegames\newlords folder.
it has a file format <era>_<nation>_0.2h

It will overwrite and old pretenders for the same era/nation.

After all the pretenders have been sent in the game can be kicked off and you will receive your turns in the mail.
Just send your turn back to turns@llamaserver.net (probably just reply to sender)

Only send in the .2h file. The .trn file is only sent by Llama to YOU.

For a FAQ on Llamaserver go here
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Yep I'll be happy to participate in this one too, again as long as you don't mind a noob playing.

JasonPratt

Me, too, assuming I can even get my game installed and running on Win8. With the mods. Also, I have exactly no idea what to do about the Llamathing.

...uh, put me down for "maybe". :)

(Depending on when-if-ever I get up and going, I'd be interested in the other game you've got running, too; but don't delay waiting for me, y'all go on.)

I won't call a faction until I'm sure I can join; that way I don't hamper someone else who's definitely in picking someone they want.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, I seem to be up and running now, patched up to 3.28 and with all mods installed. I'll be playing Vanheim.

(Don't worry, while I've played a handful of games going back to the days of Dom2, I'm still basically a noob. Never even finished a game.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

undercovergeek

Who's hosting this one?

We have huw, me, Jason, airboy and yskonyn - should we open this to the outer world to get a full compliment?

Yskonyn

I can also host this one.
If we drop this game to the Dom3 community we could run Cradle of Dominion with 12+ players. But we do run the risk of getting some pretty advanced players joining us.
I am fine with doing it, but as the game is to accomodate Airboy I'd rather have his say on this first.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Huw the Poo

I'm fine with open world for this one as long as Airboy is.  As a noob I fully expect to be stomped whatever happens!

JasonPratt

As a noob playing Vanheim, I fully expect to stomp. I mean be stomped.  ;D

I'm fine opening up for more real players, but we can salt with AI factions, too. Just remember, with more players comes more inertia.

airboy

This is fine with me.  If I'm not having to travel I can do turns faster.  The early turns in the game are pretty simple with not a lot to do.

Yskonyn

Ok, then I guess it might be a good idea to see who's going to bite over at the Shrapnel forums.
I'll make a first post like our other game tomorrow and copy that over to Shrapnel.

JasonPratt

The forums at Desura would be another good place to look for opponents.

For Grogheads who don't know what Dom 3 is, here's the new official review page at Desura, which gives some nice overviews.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-3-the-awakening/reviews

It's like a far more detailed but lower-rent Master of Magic, with tons more factions available to choose from and insane levels of strategizing.

Originally the game sold for around US$70, now it's around $30. Other games in that cost-range would be things like War In The Pacific: Admiral's Edition and (getting) Distant Worlds (up to par); both are somewhat more complex than Dom3 in various ways, but the level of detail is still in the same ballpark, and Dom3 is relatively more accessible. (Also much more multiplayer-friendly.)

Yskonyn

We havent got much luck yet. I think people might be finding it too long.
If so we will kick off with the five of us.
Lets give it a bit more time.

I have no Desura account. If one of you has one, feel free to post a request.

Huw the Poo

I have a Desura account but won't be able to post until tonight (9 or so hours from now).  I'll link to this thread.  If anyone else can post sooner please feel free!