Tom Cruise is (somehow not) the Mummy!

Started by JasonPratt, December 01, 2016, 10:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2017, 03:54:25 PM
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/the-mummy-review-tom-cruise-sofia-boutella-russell-crowe-dark-universe-1201838756/

QuoteCruise plays Nick Morton, a Nathan Drake wannabe with so little personality that he makes Brendan Fraser look like Errol Flynn.

ouch.
Haterz gotta hate.

Critics massively dislike(d) Kevin Costner - he's another guy I've not had a problem with in regard to entertaining films i.e. not many howlers.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 08, 2017, 01:07:55 AM
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/the-mummy-review-tom-cruise-sofia-boutella-russell-crowe-dark-universe-1201838756/

QuoteCruise plays Nick Morton, a Nathan Drake wannabe with so little personality that he makes Brendan Fraser look like Errol Flynn.

ouch.
Haterz gotta hate.

Critics massively dislike(d) Kevin Costner - he's another guy I've not had a problem with in regard to entertaining films i.e. not many howlers.

Well... I can understand the aversion to Costner's acting.

His speech was often rather monotone. 

Since actors jobs are all about putting out the melodramatic lines, he stood out as a rather dull one when delivering them. 

Cruise tends to catch shit because he joined a big cult which has questionable practices and nuttery.  ~~>

mirth

I think this i just a bad movie.

And Costner has been in some of the worst movies ever made - Waterworld, The Postman  :o
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on June 08, 2017, 02:33:07 AM
I think this i just a bad movie.

And Costner has been in some of the worst movies ever made - Waterworld, The Postman  :o
It may be - I have no idea. I've not been a fan of any of the Mummy movies and so this isn't on my hit list anyway.

I loved Waterworld  :crazy2:

I agree he's been in a couple of howlers - but he's been in some great movies too.

By the way I should be clear my "haterz gotta hate" was aimed at the reviewer - not you mirth - I know you've got room in your heart for everyone  :hug:
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 08, 2017, 03:02:27 AM
It may be - I have no idea. I've not been a fan of any of the Mummy movies and so this isn't on my hit list anyway.

It's not related to the previous Brendan Fraiser Mummy movies (of which I wasn't a fan). This is Universal's attempt to build a franchise around its classic monsters (Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, etc ).

I loved Waterworld  :crazy2:

moving along :P

Anyway, this new movie is being widely panned and it has nothing to do with Tom Cruise's religious beliefs. It's sounds like a stinker.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/movies/the-mummy-review-tom-cruise.html

Who knows? It may do alright. PotC 5 was killed critically and it's raking in the $$.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

Mr. Sunday Movies: a resounding meh, but on the downside of that.

One point he makes is that the cast (especially Cruise as usual) and crew are clearly trying super-hard to put something into this movie, but the direction and editing are screwing them over. What's the point of collapsing a whole building with real guys (including Cruise I think?) on top, for example, when the way it's shot and edited it could be CGI or just practical faking of a collapse just as easily? Why do 90 trips in the Vomit Comet to do a weightless scene which in the movie seems to last for only a few seconds, and so which could be done with wires and/or CGI just as easily?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on June 08, 2017, 07:19:38 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 08, 2017, 03:02:27 AM

It's not related to the previous Brendan Fraiser Mummy movies (of which I wasn't a fan). This is Universal's attempt to build a franchise around its classic monsters (Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, etc ).

oh? Now I'm interested. a new movie franchise for monsters  O0
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

I don't care about his religion, unless he promotes it on-screen, which he doesn't. I think they're just using a 'big name' to promote a crappy movie... maybe. I suspect he'll get paid pretty well either way.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Moviebob says: a loose remake of Army of Darkness by people who didn't realize AoD was a comedy.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

Kevin Costner was solid in The Untouchables but then again he was also a horrific Robin Hood just a few years later. And in between was Dances with Wolves. His resume is pretty uneven.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Can we all agree he's best as a laconic Western type? (Not as a goofy Western type; weakest part of Silverado.)

JudgeDredd

Tin Cup
3000 Miles to Graceland
JFK
Wyatt Earp
Open Range
No Way Out
A Perfect World
Bull Durham

To name a few.  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

No Way Out was an ok film with an even better twist ending.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 08, 2017, 01:07:55 AM

ouch.
Haterz gotta hate.

Well my wife and daughter went to see this and thought it was - their word - abysmal. Apparently they thought the story was all over the place, didn't make sense, Crowe was awful, the cheeky chats between Cruise and his sidekick were awful and were misplaced and the girl interest was a "nothing" story spare part.

They also said the film didn't know if it wanted to be scary, funny, a new direction, a play to the original...pretty much what I had heard about it.

I don't know - I haven't seen it but I've been to enough movies with them to know we have similar tastes - so I'm skipping.
Alba gu' brath

mirth