Origins 2016 (June 15-19), Columbus OH

Started by bayonetbrant, June 07, 2015, 04:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

OJsDad, sorry I missed you.  Was looking forward to meeting you.  Maybe next year.

Speaking of next year, if you are reading this thread, you must have at least a passing interest in attending.  Or at least living vicariously through those that do.  Let me tell you, do it.  Come and have a blast.  I have no doubt that those of you I have interacted with on here would truly have the best time you have had in many a year.  I can't stress enough how awesome the venue is, how easy Columbus is to get around, how good the food at Barley's is and most importantly, how truly awesome the people are.

I had the great good fortune of meeting Brant, Martok, Barthheart, Cyrano, Cap'n Darwin, Jim Sterrett, Robert Crandall, Mark Walker, and panzerde.  All are outstanding people and I can't wait to meet them all again.

Do yourself a favor, start planning now to be in attendance next year.  You will not regret it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Thanks to everyone who joined us at Origins!

We had a blast and we hope y'all did, too.

Keep in mind that there's a lot of GAMA-ness we can't do anything about, but if you've got suggestions for us and how we handled our events and our area, we'd like to hear them. I can't promise we're going to make every change that's suggested, but I will promise that we're going to listen to your thoughts and consider them.

Also, if you joined us at Origins, please make it a point to shoot a note to our exhibitor partners and thank them. Lost Battalion Games, LnL Publishing, Enterprise Games (and by extension, GMT), Flying Pig Games, and Proving Ground Games were all great partners and we hope to have them all back next year.

Remember that all of our wrap-up coverage is still posting on the newly-renamed Schrödinger's Front Page through the end of the week.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Well... back to work after another great week at Origins. Great fun to finally meet face to face with OJsDad, MetalDog, and Martok. Martok, hope yer car made the trip home.... :o
Great people, great gaming, great fun and great beer!

Only 12 months to wait for the next one.  O0

bbmike

Is Martok's cloaking device on the blink again?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on June 20, 2016, 03:20:13 PM
Is Martok's cloaking device on the blink again?

Yep... cruise for 2 parsecs then cool down fer an hour....

Capn Darwin

Another great Origins at the Grogheads Centeral Command. Commence the 2017 count down.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bayonetbrant

wrap-ups and thoughts welcome, folks!

I'm going to un-sticky this one in a week or so and start the Origins 2017 Pre-Emptive Guilt Trip Thread™ so we can start working over Bawb, Mirth, Toonces, and the rest of 'em.

bayonetbrant

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on June 19, 2016, 08:07:28 PM
OJsDad, sorry I missed you.  Was looking forward to meeting you.  Maybe next year.

Speaking of next year, if you are reading this thread, you must have at least a passing interest in attending.  Or at least living vicariously through those that do.  Let me tell you, do it.  Come and have a blast.  I have no doubt that those of you I have interacted with on here would truly have the best time you have had in many a year.  I can't stress enough how awesome the venue is, how easy Columbus is to get around, how good the food at Barley's is and most importantly, how truly awesome the people are.

I had the great good fortune of meeting Brant, Martok, Barthheart, Cyrano, Cap'n Darwin, Jim Sterrett, Robert Crandall, Mark Walker, and panzerde.  All are outstanding people and I can't wait to meet them all again.

Do yourself a favor, start planning now to be in attendance next year.  You will not regret it.
I just want to second MetalDog here.  Having now finally been to Origins, I can say unequivocally that it was an amazing experience, and was easily the most fun I've had in a long time.  I very much look forward to going again (although I may have to figure out different transportation arrangements for next time ::) ). 

Quote from: Barthheart on June 20, 2016, 11:48:50 AMMartok, hope yer car made the trip home.... :o
Yeah, I finally got in a few hours ago.  (Whew!)  :)  Damn car.  Amazing how it had been running just fine for months, but then it suddenly pulls this crap on me (and just after it had gotten a tune-up too)...  >:(  Ah well, at least I made it! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

Good to know you made it home, Martok.  Now you won't have any trouble with the car ;)

OJsDad

Was glad to meet everyone I did.  I will definitely need to make more time to attend next year.

MD, when I landed in Columbus earlier the day you flew in, we landed from the west.  When landing at Port Columbus from the west, you get to fly right over The Shoe.  If you have a window seat, you can usually see one of the end zones.  Were you lucky enough to see it or did you not even realize you were flying over. 

Brant, as I told you, I hadn't been able to come down for a few years.  I really like the layout of the two main exhibit halls.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on June 21, 2016, 05:02:57 PM
MD, when I landed in Columbus earlier the day you flew in, we landed from the west.  When landing at Port Columbus from the west, you get to fly right over The Shoe.  If you have a window seat, you can usually see one of the end zones.  Were you lucky enough to see it or did you not even realize you were flying over. 

Have to say I missed it.  Primarily, because I drove ;)

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on June 21, 2016, 05:14:43 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on June 21, 2016, 05:02:57 PM

Have to say I missed it.  Primarily, because I drove ;)

Doh!  That gave me a good belly laugh.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.