Main Menu

GrogCast - Season 6!

Started by bayonetbrant, February 23, 2018, 06:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on March 09, 2018, 03:36:37 PM
And BC, I think the old PC Civil War game you were thinking of was No Greater Glory. A brutal, brutal game that I was never able to win.

That's the one, thanks bbmike.

DROVE ME NUTS, this game did. But I kept coming back for more.

I managed once - once - to get thiiiiis close to winning as the South, but I didn't quite make it. Otherwise I'd just get my butt kicked and find support drop like a stone. You have to really play the numbers in this one and put dummies in charge, and even then you'd never get ahead!

But if this lil' bastard appeared on GOG, I'd totally be all over it. :(

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Great show guys  O0 7 wonders tabletop sounds like a lot of fun to play in a group :) And I've played Jamaica the boardgame, it's a lot of fun. It was great to hear that discussed.  Lots of interesting points to listen to again, thanks :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Barthheart

GorgCast gets a mention in a new War Game News YT series.  O0

Around the 16:00 mark...

Jarhead0331

^Sweet! Thanks for posting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

A very groggy episode for you today, as we cover the historical periods from WWI back to - but not including - the AWI.

So we're talking Napoleonics, with Cyrano, and manage to keep it to around an hour :)

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 23, 2018, 08:22:33 AM
A very groggy episode for you today, as we cover the historical periods from WWI back to - but not including - the AWI.

So we're talking Napoleonics, with Cyrano, and manage to keep it to around an hour :)

How? Did you sedate him?  ;D

bayonetbrant

Cyrano

Skipping back an episode, JH mentioned this game and it set me to re-playing it (it takes real doing).

BEHOLD the glory of Napoleonics on the PC in 1993:

It's the sound that gets me.  It was splendid at the time...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Today's episode is finally up.  It's not midnight yet, so it's still technically live by Friday!

James Sterrett

Realistic space combat:

Boardgame:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6767/attack-vector-tactical Attack Vector Tactical: physics are correct, engineering is handwaved in order to create a tactically interesting decision space; orbital mechanics is an option. [Disclaimer:  I was part of the team for AVT.]

Computer:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/ Children of a Dead Earth:  physics is correct, engineering sticks to currently known techniques, orbital mechanics always enabled.

Computer, as a tutorial to Children of a Dead Earth (and a superb game in its own right) : https://www.gog.com/game/kerbal_space_program Kerbal Space Program doesn't have combat, unless you mod it (easy to do), but it will teach you a gut-level understanding of orbital mechanics that will help a lot with CoaDE.  (I've been part of a STEM outreach program to a local junior high school using this...  we're eagerly anticipating some teams landing on the moon in the next few weeks.)

Computer, if you think Kerbal is not realistic enough:  http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ Orbiter.  Pack a lunch, this wants you to do your homework in full.

panzerde

I have and enjoy Children of a Dead Earth. I need to give it another run since there have been a lot of updates since I last played.

I really wish Torchships had made it...

While I've always thought that realistic space combat games probably belong on the computer, AVT is appealing. In the end it always loses out in my time budget to games with muskets, but someday...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

James Sterrett

I spent enough time teaching AVT in demos that I can still do it a decade later.  :)

Plus, Ken Burnside, the primary designer, usually shows up at Origins. 

Your call.  :)

Cyrano

AVT is the one with the wooden blocks to help the ships assume the correct aspect, yeah?
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806