Main Menu

The FRIDAYs Real

Started by MetalDog, August 24, 2018, 05:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

See...its already been an unexpected weekend. Installed and played...are you ready for it...Theatre of War: Kursk 1943. It seems much better than I remember it. Still looks very good too. Maybe a little bright in the color palette, but otherwise, very serviceable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

I played the first one, wanted to love it, but couldn't get past the frantic pace. Has it improved a lot?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 24, 2018, 10:21:58 PM
I played the first one, wanted to love it, but couldn't get past the frantic pace. Has it improved a lot?

Too soon to tell. My major beef was always the frailty of infantry. They just seemed to have no survivability whatsoever. I just played the training mission in Kursk and had relatively light casualties despite having assaulted a lightly held village and then repulsing a pretty significant counterattack with a substantial armor element. I had a T34 and it shredded the oncoming light German armor. I don't know if this is due to the nature of the scenario, though, or if the game had been patched.

I also reinstalled ToW 3: Korea, cause there aren't many Korean War games out there to begin with. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

I can remember with the first game having a hell of a time keeping my tanks from charging like mad at the enemy every time they can in sight. But it was fun.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

I loved the old theatre of war 1 for it's unique early war gear. However its shine wore off quickly because of it's really poor optimisation. It barely ran on my relatively top end PC back in the day.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

There was also the problem that the extensive patching by the developer triggered specific virus warnings.

On the other hand, the developer himself extensively patched it, so...  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

Quote from: Destraex on August 24, 2018, 11:18:07 PM
I loved the old theatre of war 1 for it's unique early war gear. However its shine wore off quickly because of it's really poor optimisation. It barely ran on my relatively top end PC back in the day.

Was gonna say, I liked the first one as well. Then it lost it's shine for me, by Kursk and I'm not sure why, maybe pace. lol. now I want to try it again!