Modern Bomber simulation games

Started by mikeck, August 19, 2018, 05:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Are there any PC simulations out there that let me fly detailed models of the B-1b, B2 or any relatively modern bomber on an actual combat mission? I know one of the Microsoft flight simulators allows you to FLY one...but I want to operate the plane...alternating between positions..to infiltrate and drop my nuke on someone.

I doubt there is but was hoping for a mod maybe?

If not....isn't it time for one? 2020...war between NATO and Russia escalates to the "tactical nuclear level". B-1b Heads in to drop on forces/airfield/supply hub, etc. I mean, it's not hard to think of a scenario and working the ECM, navigating through Air Defense and targeting would be fun. Not to mention infil/exfil flying at 200 feet above the ground at Mach1.2

Edit: think Silent Hunter (where you can switch between stations) meets DCS. (Or for me, Flaming cliffs 3 since i can't spend 20 minutes starting an airplane)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Sadly, Megafortress is still the best (and only) option...I agree, a modern adaptation is long overdue.

http://www.old-games.com/download/4334/megafortress

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

It even comes with a campaign based on Flight of the Old Dog, the novel which inspired the game in the first place. (The B-52 is a tricked out testbed for tech which got put into the B-1B, the new supersonic stealth bomber hotness at the time.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

That being said, while the game is certainly playable (I put in a few hundred hours easily), its functionality is partly broken in places.

Not so much that the missions can't be defeated -- if anything the bomber and the game design is a little overpowered. But the game was too ambitious I guess, and some of the functionality just doesn't work. (This is aside from some of the functionality being mere chrome, like the windshield wiper which is too slow to be useful and which no mission ever needs anyway -- even when crossing Kamchatka. Heck, even when LANDING AND TAKING OFF AGAIN somewhere in Kamchatka.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

DoctorQuest

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 20, 2018, 12:11:14 PM
It even comes with a campaign based on Flight of the Old Dog, the novel which inspired the game in the first place. (The B-52 is a tricked out testbed for tech which got put into the B-1B, the new supersonic stealth bomber hotness at the time.)

I could never get past the part of the (I think) first mission of the campaign where you are asked for a transponder code. I feel like I am doing everything right but I still get shot down.

It really would be cool to have a B1/B2/B52 modern sim with all the avionics bells and whistles.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

Is there a scenario in Command that would work?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jamus34

For some reason I imagine a modern bomber sim would play like a modern boomer sim. Goal of avoiding all contact until payload can be dropped / launched

That said you position it like a stealth sim (Thief...in the sky or underwater)

Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

Quote from: DoctorQuest on August 20, 2018, 12:23:40 PM
I could never get past the part of the (I think) first mission of the campaign where you are asked for a transponder code. I feel like I am doing everything right but I still get shot down.

It's been too many years since I played the Old Dog campaign, so I can't help with that.

I recall thinking that my main problem in the 1st mission was EVEN LEAVING THE HANGAR, because there's no good way to easily tell when the doors are wide enough to go without ripping my wings off. I think I just eventually waited until I couldn't see the doors anymore, even though that felt like too long.

JasonPratt

Also, in either the first or second mission I remember (as in the book) you have to fake your death by fake-crashing off radar.

DennisS

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 19, 2018, 05:59:18 PM
Sadly, Megafortress is still the best (and only) option...I agree, a modern adaptation is long overdue.

http://www.old-games.com/download/4334/megafortress

Are these free downloads, or do they cost? I don't have a Paypal account, and am a little leery about using my debit card online.

Jarhead0331

Free. Link I posted offers the option to make a donation, but you can download the file for free. Its like a 2mb download.

Haven't tried it though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 20, 2018, 12:36:49 PM
Also, in either the first or second mission I remember (as in the book) you have to fake your death by fake-crashing off radar.

Yeah. That's the one I just can't seem to figure out.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

^I think there is a video on Youtube of a guy doing that mission. I'm not sure if its the one, but he rapidly drops altitude at one point to just a couple hundred feet above sea level.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Great. Now I have the bug to try this again. :)

I'll see if I can find that video. Thanks, JH.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on August 20, 2018, 03:17:45 PM
Great. Now I have the bug to try this again. :)

I'll see if I can find that video. Thanks, JH.

Haven't watched the whole thing, or any of it with sound, but I noticed the altitude drop around 11:30.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog