Main Menu

Afghanistan '11

Started by jomni, September 27, 2016, 06:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Sequel to Vietnam '65.  Situation seems to be more complicated.  Beta applications accepted.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/641/details/Afghanistan.'11

A full nation building module, whereby player can affect the hearts and minds of the local population via non-military means (constructing infrastructure and delivering UN aid)
An intense 18 battle campaign covering the iconic Afghan war operations from establishing Camp Rhino to the Bin Laden Raid (Neptune Spear)
Command the American and the Afghanistan National Army during ground and air operations
Drones, multirole fighters and ground-attack aircraft are available to help you to spot and eliminate enemy units
Upgrade your bases with specific buildings to offer a better support to your soldiers and military vehicles
Afghanistan National elections - affecting the balance of power in the theatre
Full US withdrawal and handing over of combat responsibility to the ANA.
External political events impacting the local situation.
Taliban operations are financed from the growing and harvesting of opium crops. Locate and destroy opium crops to cripple the opponent's resources as these fund the Taliban operations.
Full range of modern military units including artillery, mechanized and infantry units, engineers, helicopters, etc.
Special forces including sniper and forward air controller actions, offering you plenty of tactical options.
An extensive Skirmish mode, allowing players to set all parameters of a game and enabling unlimited replaybility.

tgb

Nice find.  Application filed.

Moreb

I really enjoyed the Nam game. A simple time killer that was just fresh enough to keep me occupied on more than a few occasions.

I'm really looking forward to see how this pans out.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Raied

Looking forward for this, I enjoyed Vietnam 65, but I hope they make the helicopter/ supply part less micro.

PanzerFaust

Seems rather interesting.

I'm curious to see how they render guerrilla warfare. How was it with Vietnam '65? I didn't play that one.

JasonPratt

Wow, this sounds a LOT more detailed than Viet65! I'll be curious how he intends to put this into Viet 66 someday.

PF, guerrila warfare in Vietnam 65 was... .... it was like fighting werewolves.  >:D

Keeping in mind it was set up kind of like a solo board game: during the somewhat-randomized map setup, the computer would designate 10 random hexes across the board as Viet Cong congregation points. (These points could be really, reaaallly randomized, btw.) The VC could not be stopped from gathering at these points, effectively spawning onto the map from those points; a big part of the game is using clues to try to hunt and lock down those points to kill VC as quickly as possible after a spawn.

Once a turn, the AI would generate a VC mission: mine laying or setting up an RPG ambush or attacking a forward base or dominating a village (maybe one or two other kinds, I forget). Then it would spawn an appropriate VC team from the spawn point closest to the target hex; and over the next few turns the team would move pretty directly across the map to the target hex, however long that took (being able to move through forest trails a little faster than a Green Beret team and a lot faster than any other US fireteam). If attacked, or if it walked into a US ambush, the VC team would scatter if it survived, leaving the map either way. If it got to its target hex, it would do its things and then leave the map -- unless its mission was to be an RPG trap for helicopters (in which case it stayed around until triggered), or in an odd way unless its mission was to mine a hex (in which case it turned into landmines but still counted in the game engine as being a VC team on the map. It took me a while to figure this out.) There was no way to prevent them from entering villages if that was their mission, other than to intercept them from an ambush position two or more hexes away from the village.

A successful VC mission lowered the political score in favor of the VC and eventually in favor of the NVA outright; and in various ways increased the chances and types of NVA spawn that might occur from the western edge of the amp.

I have a visual AAR of an early post-release campaign here in the Digital AAR section somewhere. Titled something about Vietnamese Werewolves I think. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GeneralHawk

I served in the Stan at a small COP in Kunar in 2011,  I have been waiting for this since moment I heard about it last year!! Woohoo!
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Vietnam65

Quote from: Raied on September 27, 2016, 10:48:10 PM
Looking forward for this, I enjoyed Vietnam 65, but I hope they make the helicopter/ supply part less micro.

A new supply system has been implemented whereby forward bases carry supply stock and auto supply units in a given range, units outside of these FOBs need to be supplied by helo or vehicle. It takes a lot of the supply micro out but doesn't take anything away from the importance of logistics in this game.

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 28, 2016, 01:02:01 PM
Wow, this sounds a LOT more detailed than Viet65! I'll be curious how he intends to put this into Viet 66 someday.

We have built a whole new 3D engine for A11 and the maps are much bigger ( Built for PC this time :) ), so will definitely be re-visting Vietnam with this new engine along with a few other COIN wars ...

Raied

Quote from: Vietnam65 on September 29, 2016, 01:33:27 AM
Quote from: Raied on September 27, 2016, 10:48:10 PM

A new supply system has been implemented whereby forward bases carry supply stock and auto supply units in a given range, units outside of these FOBs need to be supplied by helo or vehicle. It takes a lot of the supply micro out but doesn't take anything away from the importance of logistics in this game.

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 28, 2016, 01:02:01 PM

We have built a whole new 3D engine for A11 and the maps are much bigger maps ( Built for PC this time :) , so will definitely be re-visting Vietnam with this new engine along with a few other COIN wars ...

Wow, thats sound amazing and for built for PC.. really looking forward for it, are we expecting the full release before the end of this year?

Vietnam65

Q1 2017 , want to give this a thorough working over with the Beta testers as it is a brand new engine that will be with this series for quite some time into the future....

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

tgb

Any idea when the beta will start?

Vietnam65

tgb

I've already applied.  I've tested several games for them so wondered if invites had already gone out.

Vietnam65

Go to my website and send me your email address and I will get you on...

www.everysinglesoldier.com