Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I don't think a destructible environment is "fluff". It's about immersion. May not be important to some BUT, I can't imagine why someone would develope a tactical combat game like this without it. I'm not saying it's a sea-killer...just a questionable decision?

I've never been into turnbased tactical games so it's no skin off my back either way
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I'm off to try and find a fix  :'(
Alba gu' brath

Cyrano

Uh-Oh.

If I read RPS correctly, somebody released a faithful adaptation of a TTG on a PC.

This always ends badly.

Except for ME.

Can't wait to get home now...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JudgeDredd

I just requested a refund. Fire it up, get several logos and get to the skull logo and screen goes black.

Error report says this
Unity Player [version: Unity 5.6.5p1_b5fcd78dd1ab]

AVProVideo.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module AVProVideo.dll at 0033:f12eb237.

Error occurred at 2018-04-24_190444.
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech.exe, run by Billy.
23% memory in use.
16324 MB physical memory [12509 MB free].
32645 MB paging file [27808 MB free].
8388608 MB user address space [8386292 MB free].
Write to location 738ae000 caused an access violation.

Context:
RDI:    0x738ae000  RSI: 0x7537dfa0  RAX:   0x735b0060
RBX:    0x004baf70  RCX: 0x004eb060  RDX:   0x01acffa0
RIP:    0xf12eb237  RBP: 0x75b3f8a9  SegCs: 0x00000033
EFlags: 0x00010203  RSP: 0x75b3f858  SegSs: 0x0000002b
R8:    0x20228ec0  R9: 0x2011c230  R10:   0x75080000
R11:    0x201637c0  R12: 0x00000000  R13:   0x677e7fb0
R14:    0x00000000  R15: 0x00000008

You might think a refund is a bit harsh - but I'm conscious you've only got a set period of time for a refund on Steam. If the issue gets fixed, I'll buy back in. I checked the internet and couldn't find anything recently or for this - several things about MWO and even MW4 (same thing?)

Anyway - back to my modelling. And I might try again in a week or two.

Enjoy boys  O0
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Pinetree on April 24, 2018, 02:47:38 AM
You guys are in for a treat then, the lore of Battletech is awesome.

Medieval warlords IN SPAAAACE robots

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2018, 01:11:57 PM
I just requested a refund. Fire it up, get several logos and get to the skull logo and screen goes black.

Error report says this
Unity Player [version: Unity 5.6.5p1_b5fcd78dd1ab]

AVProVideo.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module AVProVideo.dll at 0033:f12eb237.

Man, you've been having some PC problems lately, JD.   

First your HOTAS issues, now some video player software balls out on ya.  Sorry to hear it.   :-[

Gusington

Looks like a video driver issue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Quote from: mikeck on April 24, 2018, 08:59:32 AM
I don't think a destructible environment is "fluff". It's about immersion. May not be important to some BUT, I can't imagine why someone would develope a tactical combat game like this without it. I'm not saying it's a sea-killer...just a questionable decision?

I've never been into turnbased tactical games so it's no skin off my back either way

The game does have destructibles on the map. Your mechs trample through fences, walls, trees and small buildings for an example, though I believe you can't just blow up a mountain.

JudgeDredd

I'm pretty sure this is a game/driver conflict. The joystick issue I'm sure is hardware.

I'll pick it up later. There's bound to be some teething issues for some people. I can be patient. I've got plenty to be getting on with  O0
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2018, 01:41:56 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a game/driver conflict. The joystick issue I'm sure is hardware.

I'll pick it up later. There's bound to be some teething issues for some people. I can be patient. I've got plenty to be getting on with  O0

The "AVProVideo.dll" sounds like it might be an in-game video player (pre-gameplay intro vids) that may be screwing up.

___

Quick 'net glance tells me it is, indeed, video playback software for the Unity engine.  Likely crapping out on some intro vid or cut scene load.

Probably having a conflict with your current video or audio drivers.

JudgeDredd

O0 Possibly - I saw a post somewhere about changing an INI file entry to switch videos off...but that was for a,different game and I couldn't find that ini file or setting in the Battletech stuff
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Yeah, it's a Unity conflict error.  Looks like it happens with other Unity games as well.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

Played the first two story missions and I like it so far.
The story itself starts off nicely and draws me into the world. The Mechs are cool and for the first time I see a Mech game with animated melee. Very cool.

Haven't gotten to the management part yet, but so far I am enjoying myself.
On a weird note: MekHQ (a program I am using to host the Tabletop BattleTech game) decided to not load anymore all of a sudden... Would it be jealous?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I'm enjoying the combat so far, but I can certainly see some of the animations, particularly when it snaps into a "chase" view, getting old really fast. This mechanic really slows down the action and its really unnecessary.

The first couple of missions are tutorial ones...the writing is pretty poor and some of the dialogue is borderline embarrassing. However, the overarching plot and the cut scenes are engrossing and well done.

I'm just about getting into the management part. They severely restrict you at first...I hope these eases up eventually.

I'm disappointed there is no sandbox, or open-ended mode. There is a campaign mode and skirmish. I would like to have had the option to manage a merc company beyond or outside of the canned single player campaign. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 24, 2018, 05:54:03 PM
I'm disappointed there is no sandbox, or open-ended mode. There is a campaign mode and skirmish. I would like to have had the option to manage a merc company beyond or outside of the canned single player campaign.

Haven't got there yet, but from what I understand from the Devs only the "story" part of the campaign is canned.  You can take contracts outside the story to make money and build your Company with dynamic, procedurally generated missions, and play out the story as well.  Ending the story is not game over either.

I didn't watch a lot of the lets plays, so I don't know if that's how it ended up turning out, but that's what they've said in a lot of the promo materials. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback