Family Game Recommendations

Started by Bison, July 23, 2015, 07:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 03, 2015, 10:34:33 PM
I'm amazed that nobody complained at all about the fact that one of the tribes are assassins who 'kill' other pawns.

And then there is the cherry picking such people do, as noted here. 

:tickedoff:

bayonetbrant

I've played Five Tribes 3 times with my lunch game group, and I thinks that's enough times to know I don't like it.  Doesn't do it for me.  Kind of like Seasons - a bunch of neat concepts in a box, but not really a good game that's tied together from end-to-end.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Well King of Tokyo is in cue for the next game to have a place on the family gaming shelf.  It fits a need we have for a game that involves a lot of dice rolling.

mirth

I try to take Table Top with a grain of salt. I'm not terribly interested in most of the games they play and yeah Wil Wheaton can be an overly PC knob sometimes. Generally I find most of the episodes entertaining and I don't mind learning about games I wouldn't typically play myself  (turns out the casual/Eurogame style is kinda popular :P).

I also think the show is good for the hobby in general. There's a tie-in with Target and you can frequently find games played on TT in-stock at Target. It's nice to see a major retailer carrying boardgames outside of the usual mix of Monopoly, Yahtzee, etc.

I just watched the TT playthrough of Legendary. Seriously considering picking it up to play with my kids.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I understand where you're coming from Mirth the episodes can be informative.  I just find Will to be a bit smarmy too and to be honest I'd rather watch a video of some random guy with poor camera work but excited about the game.

On topic: I'm also considering Legendary Marvel and the Dark City expansion.  It looks like it'd be fun both solo and co-op with the kids.  Plus it has Captain America, which basically acknowledges it's going to be awesome.

mirth

Wil Wheaton's far less annoying now than he was as Wesley Crusher, so I tend to give him a pass. Some of his guests on Table Top are pretty cool.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on August 05, 2015, 06:38:32 PM
Well King of Tokyo is in cue for the next game to have a place on the family gaming shelf.  It fits a need we have for a game that involves a lot of dice rolling.

We enjoyed King of Tokyo numerous times.  It's a good "designer" family game, although I felt that it often ended a bit too quickly. 

I've since picked up other dice games for the same purpose, but have only played one once (Run, Fight, or Die) and have yet to try the others with the wide age ranges (Bang! Dice Game, Ancient Terrible Things).

Quote from: mirthI just watched the TT playthrough of Legendary. Seriously considering picking it up to play with my kids.

Marvel Legendary is fairly easy for some of the under 10s to play.  It's also an enjoyable light solitaire game for when you don't want to keep track of too much fidgetry.  Just keep in mind that most of the gameplay doesn't involve direct confrontation between players, which can be good or bad depending on who you play it with, so you're collecting points for the win.  The Alien one is co-op, but is a bit more mechanically involved.

Whenever I give my boardgame addicted 8-year old nephew a choice of which game he wants to play, it's almost always the FFG reprint of Dungeonquest.  I had actually played my 80s version with a large group of family members, including his parents, a few years ago and they all seemed to enjoy even that old one.  (Must be due to few decisions and a lot of luck being involved, for the less hardcore gamers.)  Occasionally the kids wants to play the old Star Wars Minis stuff from WotC or the remake of Conquest Of The Empire.  I also keep getting requests for Queen Games' Shogun, but I'm not sure if he can handle all the pre-turn hidden card placement/planning well just yet.  If that kid had his way, he'd be at my game table every day.

mirth

Well I just bit on the Legendary core set and the Guardians expansion. The kids are big into Marvel superheroes right now, so I'm sure they'll dig the game.

Bison