Political Machine 2024

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 02, 2024, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

New version released today for $19.99....I know some people enjoy playing these types of games, especially in election year.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2512090/The_Political_Machine_2024/

rss334

Have on my wishlist but would have to see overwhelming positive reviews to want to buy.  My fear was they focused too much on the cartoon graphics and not enough on core mechanics and options.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: rss334 on May 02, 2024, 10:49:15 AMHave on my wishlist but would have to see overwhelming positive reviews to want to buy.  My fear was they focused too much on the cartoon graphics and not enough on core mechanics and options.

That's always the concern with this series, although they claim and detailed simulation engine under the cartoons.  No idea why they ever thought those graphics would be best to try and sell this as a serious campaign engine.  Regardless, pretty cheap so I will likely pick up at some point, there is others out there but I find them too overwhelming and too dry.

rss334

I don't mind the cartoon graphics too much.  I think about games like "The Political Machine" and  if that game had any graphics we would never have a need for any other political game as that one pretty much covers it all but is dry as hell to play due to the lack of graphics.  I do agree with you though the cartoon character make it look like a non-serious game.  Does not look like anyone reviewed it as of yet, so to be seen I guess how good the core gameplay is.   

Grim.Reaper

Video on it, they seemed to like it...

rss334

I wonder if you can run your campaign and win by locking up your political opposition?  :ROFL:

rss334

7 reviews, I always check out the negative reviews first as those tend to be the most helpful and easiest to see if they are legit or spam.  Based on this one I think I'm going to pass.  I've never played 2016 version but sounds like that would be the one to pickup.

"I still feel like the 2016 version was way better.
In 2020 they dumbed everything down, and they still didn't recover from that decision.
Okay, you can play the primaries, but the general election still feels very shallow compared to what the game was 8 or 12 years ago. The political operatives are random cards now, same goes for the lobby groups you need to win. It feels like gambling, instead of a game where your decisions matter.
And oh yea: it's hard to win if Joe Biden has almost zero stamina."

Grim.Reaper

Although I know some prefer to trust the negative over the positive, a number of the reviews had good things to say and even the video above.  Not at all saying it is or will be a great game for everyone, but if anyone enjoys this stuff, not really a lot of options and not overly expensive.

I'll pick up at some point when I get fully in the campaign mood.

Senex

Quote from: rss334 on May 02, 2024, 03:07:33 PMI wonder if you can run your campaign and win by locking up your political opposition?  :ROFL:
Or stage a coup if you lose.