Crusader Kings 2: Conclave

Started by Martok, January 07, 2016, 03:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

The lead QA guy has rings in his lips.

I will now irrationally assume this explains so many things.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

I thought it was a Sims 4 trailer.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Queeg

Quote from: Martok on January 27, 2016, 03:41:52 PM
A pretty huge dev diary is now up.  It covers, well, lots of things: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fconclave-dev-diary-3-homeschooling.904196%2F

Pretty impressive.  If they can pull it off, this may be the DLC that gets me to fire up the game again. 

sandman2575

Quote from: Queeg on January 27, 2016, 06:30:27 PM
Pretty impressive.  If they can pull it off, this may be the DLC that gets me to fire up the game again.

+1. Such a brilliant game, though I haven't played in some time (...don't seem to have the mental stamina to deal with it these days   :uglystupid2:).  But an intriguing DLC could be just what I need to dive back in.

Grim.Reaper

I see this released today and as usual, most of the DLC is also on sale....might have to pick up some of my missing pieces with the hopes when day I actually play it:)

Queeg

i jumped in and bought it it today.  I'm just scratching the surface but the new features look great and seem to work well.

One big downer, though:  They apparently tweaked the retreat mechanic to bring back the dreaded "ping-pong" armies of yore.  Basically, they revived a bug and are billing it as a feature.   There are reports, for example, of Harold Godwinson invading Normandy, losing and retreating to Brittany, losing again and retreating to lower France, losing a third time and marching the length of France to go back to England.   Sigh....

glen55

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fconclave-dev-diary-3-homeschooling.904196%2F

Sounds really cool . . . but still, you're basically training your children to grow up and try to murder you, right?  That was what turned me off this game - I know that familycide historically happened from time to time with noble and royal families, but not ALL the time!  I conceived of the point of this game as being to build a talented and powerful family, but the mechanics of the game pretty much fractures your family and house virtually every generation, and it's utter foolishness to try and set your heir up with holdings because he will just use them to raise an army and march on you.   I eventually gave up and never touched it again.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

sandman2575

Quote from: Queeg on February 02, 2016, 10:49:22 PM
One big downer, though:  They apparently tweaked the retreat mechanic to bring back the dreaded "ping-pong" armies of yore.  Basically, they revived a bug and are billing it as a feature.

Wait -- why in God's name would Pdox re-introduce this??  How is this now a feature -- i.e. what useful purpose does it serve -- as opposed to being the much-lamented bane of Pdox combat mechanics from time immemorial?

Nefaro

Quote from: Queeg on February 02, 2016, 10:49:22 PM

One big downer, though:  They apparently tweaked the retreat mechanic to bring back the dreaded "ping-pong" armies of yore.  Basically, they revived a bug and are billing it as a feature.   There are reports, for example, of Harold Godwinson invading Normandy, losing and retreating to Brittany, losing again and retreating to lower France, losing a third time and marching the length of France to go back to England.   Sigh....

OMG Nooooo!   :tickedoff:

That was one of the most hated side effects of the Pdox games, and a momentous outpouring of joy was heard across the world when they finally implemented mechanics to nix that shit.

Now it's back?!  @$%&*@! 

If they're talking it up, that means they don't want to fix it and it's probably stuck into the core game again.  I hope this isn't the case.  C:-)

undercovergeek

Quote from: glen55 on February 02, 2016, 11:36:09 PM

Sounds really cool . . . but still, you're basically training your children to grow up and try to murder you, right?  That was what turned me off this game - I know that familycide historically happened from time to time with noble and royal families, but not ALL the time!  I conceived of the point of this game as being to build a talented and powerful family, but the mechanics of the game pretty much fractures your family and house virtually every generation, and it's utter foolishness to try and set your heir up with holdings because he will just use them to raise an army and march on you.   I eventually gave up and never touched it again.

i think i have 300 hours of CKII and not once did my kids try to kill me - are you sure youre playing it right?

The point is to just play the game and RPG what happens, marry your daughters to rich kings, groom your heir to be..... well a decent heir and manage the kingdom at no point is there a real opportunity to build a powerful 'family' you can influence your character and your children - and if theyre bothering you, kill them, shag the maid and raise a grateful bastard as your heir  O0

Nefaro

Oh... CK2 certainly ratchets up the crazy aristocracy factor.  But it's not always poisoned soup and your kid's dagger in your back.  They do keep it high for the drama factor, though.

IIRC, you can mod the family relations bonus with a single text edit in CK2.  If you want family members to be more loyal.

mikeck

I've had my kids plot against me a few times...always been the oldest son who is impatient. I just kill him or lock him up. No problem. I mean, that stuff happened in real life so why not here
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

glen55

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 03, 2016, 04:27:58 PM
Quote from: glen55 on February 02, 2016, 11:36:09 PM

i think i have 300 hours of CKII and not once did my kids try to kill me - are you sure youre playing it right?

The point is to just play the game and RPG what happens, marry your daughters to rich kings, groom your heir to be..... well a decent heir and manage the kingdom at no point is there a real opportunity to build a powerful 'family' you can influence your character and your children - and if theyre bothering you, kill them, shag the maid and raise a grateful bastard as your heir  O0

REALLY?  Suddenly I am very interested in playing CK again! 

May I ask when did you start playing?  is it possible that behavior has been patched out?  I played the hell out of the game when it was new, but eventually got sick of the constant intra-familial war and insurrections by my children.  I haven't played in years.

So you're saying you can give an appropriately-sized holding to your second son, and he will not rebel against you?

???

As far as "playing it right" goes, well, I'm sure it wasn't perfect, but my guys were gaining great power and I was trying all kinds of stuff to avoid family conflict, like NEVER promoting or marrying people with "ambitious" trait, doing everything to promote loyalty, browsing the forums for tips.  Basically, I'm a veteran Paradox gamer - nearly everything they've ever made, starting with EU 1 - and had a clue about how to play a Paradox game.

Is it conceivable that my problem was related to the fact that I always played as the Earl of Dublin (or whatever that's called)?  Don't think I ever tried playing as a duke or king, and any experimentation with other earls was brief.

Other than the family thing, I loved the game, and this new education sub-game sounds like a big improvement.

Finally, on the ping-pong retreat thing: it's not really as bad as it was at its worst, is it?  Things can certainly get over-dramatized in the Paradox forums.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower