Secretary Mattis resigns

Started by besilarius, December 20, 2018, 07:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Con on December 24, 2018, 11:16:35 PM
I can't wait till the Mayans bomb Pearl Harbor

I thought that was the Germans?!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

in todays political climate Panama could bomb a boat dock on the west coast of Floriduh and we would invade Sri Lanka.....
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

TrailRunner, is the Crystal City Restaurant still open, right near the corner of 23rd Ave a block or two off the Highway? I used to walk by that place on the way home from work every day, must have bought 2,000 Gorditos at the 7-11 right next door.  Only went into the Crystal City Restaurant once, as I couldn't afford the cover charge, but the Gorditos next door were cheap...

Whatever your partisan beliefs or opinion of Mattis, the current level of administrative churn at top positions should be a source of concern for folks on any side of the aisle.

It's my understanding that Mattis resigned after Trump announced we were withdrawing all advisors and staff from the Kurdish autonomous regions.  They've been about the only consistent allies we've had in the region these last 17 years.  I think that was the straw that broke Mattis' back.

trailrunner

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 26, 2018, 02:43:45 AM
TrailRunner, is the Crystal City Restaurant still open, right near the corner of 23rd Ave a block or two off the Highway? I used to walk by that place on the way home from work every day, must have bought 2,000 Gorditos at the 7-11 right next door.  Only went into the Crystal City Restaurant once, as I couldn't afford the cover charge, but the Gorditos next door were cheap...

If you mean the gentleman's club, as far as I know it's still there.  When I'm in that part of Crystal City I rarely go on the that side of Route 1, so I don't know for sure.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 26, 2018, 02:43:45 AM

Whatever your partisan beliefs, I don't see how any right-thinking American can defend the current Shitshow of a White House administration we are displaying.  Political satire has been lost as an art form because nobody could dare to think up stuff as brazen as our daily news briefings.

This is a dude who attacked Gold Star families for political gain.  This is a guy who made fun of prisoners of war for being captured.

It's my understanding that Mattis resigned after Trump announced we were withdrawing all advisors and staff from the Kurdish autonomous regions.  They've been about the only consistent allies we've had in the region these last 17 years.  I think that was the straw that broke Mattis' back.

This is coming dangerously close to approaching R&P territory. We closed that forum down for a reason. If political issues are going to be discussed, I ask that they remain non-partisan and focused on news, rather than opinion or spin. We will continue to permit discussions regarding current political events so long as they are in some strategic, military, security and/or historic context.

Thank you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Edited: whoops, sorry, thought I was in the Syria Withdrawal strategy thread. Too early here to think straight.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Sorry, guys, I lost my head on that first post of mine.  I started out typing a witty follow-up to Starfury's comment about the U.S. invading Sri Lanka, and then kind of lost track.  It's been a while since I've practiced my "current events" forum etiquette.

Yeah, TrailRunner, I hated that strip club.  Made parking near my house MUCH harder, since it only had about 8 parking spots and the overflow just sprawled into the streets.  I lived just a block down the street from Highway 1. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 26, 2018, 10:59:47 AM
Sorry, guys, I lost my head on that first post of mine.  I started out typing a witty follow-up to Starfury's comment about the U.S. invading Sri Lanka, and then kind of lost track.  It's been a while since I've practiced my "current events" forum etiquette.

Yeah, TrailRunner, I hated that strip club.  Made parking near my house MUCH harder, since it only had about 8 parking spots and the overflow just sprawled into the streets.  I lived just a block down the street from Highway 1.

No problem, brotha'. Just a friendly reminder to all.

We really want to make a concerted effort to avoid upsetting, or annoying anyone over hot button, emotional topics. We'll see how long the experiment lasts. lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Smuckatelli

Quote from: trailrunner on December 21, 2018, 12:53:26 PMConcurrently, there's been a shift to rapid acquisition; from my perspective, the acquisition programs are just using this to bypass scrutiny, regulations, and oversight, but we're still not acquiring anything faster.

The Corps stood up a 'Rapid Capabilities Office' (RCO) last year to run an $7.3 mil acquisition for the Tactical Decision Kits (TDK). They took funds from different programs, on paper it looked good but the RCO excluded the requirements & acquisition people from the buy. All 24 Infantry Battalions got the TDK within 8 months of the RCO standing up. There was no sustainment worked into the acquisition........ now the requirements & acquisition people are trying to get this into a program of record but it is proving to be a tough hurdle.

One thing that will probably go away is Sec Mattis' Close Combat Lethality project. This is looking promising but I don't see the next Sec Def picking up this effort and expanding it.   

airboy

^ Smuck: Is that monkey picture from Gibraltar?  It certainly reminds me of what I saw there.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: airboy on January 05, 2019, 10:50:07 AM
^ Smuck: Is that monkey picture from Gibraltar?  It certainly reminds me of what I saw there.

Yes, it is from Gibraltar, good memory.

Ubercat

Is that the monkey that throws stuff at ships passing through the straight?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Ubercat on January 05, 2019, 05:06:05 PM
Is that the monkey that throws stuff at ships passing through the straight?

No, this monkey makes sure that the fish & chips in Gibraltar never reach the high standards of the fish & chips in the UK.

JasonPratt

He does that by throwing stuff.

Very specific stuff.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

So that's not Gulden's mustard on the chips?

Must be Poupon then.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys