RIP -- George H. W. Bush

Started by steve58, December 01, 2018, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

I just started reading "The Presidential Club" by Nancy Gibbs. It's about the bonds and relationships living Presidents form between one another considering that no one knows what it's like to sit in that big chair except one who has done so. George Bush and Bill Clinton famously became good friends after both left the White House and the book examines the relationships between sitting Presidents and their predecessors as well as former Presidents interacting with one another as a whole. The book popped up on my radar while I was reading a news story of President Bush passing and so far, it's been both entertaining and an eye-opener for any of us interested in politics and history.

FarAway Sooner

Good stuff, Steelgrave.

I moved to D.C. in 1991, and lived there until 1998.  I never worked on Capitol Hill (did an unpaid internship one summer), but had lots of friends who did and spent a fair amount of time with the staffer crowd. 

Everybody on both sides of the aisle spoke highly of George H.W. Bush's character, even the ones who disagreed with his politics.  That was not the case for Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton.  Given how venomously partisan American politics has become, I can't imagine anybody will ever say that about him again.

He will be missed.

CptHowdy

probably to political for this forum now but what was in the envelopes that the obamas, clintons, pences and bidens received at the funeral? what did laura bush show jeb that caused him to turn ghost white?

Sir Slash

Naked photos of him and Hillary together? Taken by Bill hiding in the closet? Who is secretly Obama's real father? H.W. Did run the CIA after all.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!