Whats on your painting table/workbench?

Started by TheCommandTent, July 08, 2012, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: DV8 on October 08, 2012, 03:16:22 PM
The unpainted ones are Old Glory.  Thanks for the advise on the barrels.  Where to you get the brass rod?

IIRC our downtown LGS has them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

any hobby store should have it in a variety of sizes.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

TheCommandTent

A few more 1/72 WWII figures painted up.  I am slowly but surely getting a force together for Bolt Action.

Four Germans

Four Americans
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Barthheart

TheCommandTent

It does look like he has lost his legs.  :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

bob48

Some old B+W photo's taken many years ago at Bovinton Tank Museum. Of special interest is the JagdPanther.

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Nice Jagd.

IIRC that's an unusual Greyhound, too. Rarely upgunned to that extent, no?

bob48

Interestingly, its actually the only surviving example left. Its a T18 Boarhound, built in the US for the British Army. Only 30 were built before the war ended and the order was cancelled. They did not see action.

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

Was that turret off-the-shelf? It looks familiar but I'm too lazy - I mean busy!- to google it right now.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Yep, it was a new design, but its only a 37mm gun.

Top right picture is driving me mad, to the point that I've sent the picture to Bovington to find out what the damn thing is.
I have a suspicion that its an M6E1 heavy tank, but I'm not totally sure. Whatever, I can no longer find it on Bovingtons website. The pictures were taken around 1963(ish), and I do have a few more somewhere. Note that just peeping out behind the T18 is a Hetzer.

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

Whatever that thing is, it looks based on an M4 hull of some kind. Very wide treads though. It's not a Ram or Ram II. I don't think it's an M6 or M7 either as the turret design doesn't match. The gun looks smaller than a 76mm and the turret front is flat or sloped but not curved. The mantlet looks to be separate from the turret and attached to the barrel. The turret shape is odd as well, very low with those lower side shot-traps. The hull gun mount and track width seem to rule out an M-10 TD.  ??? ???

Can you post the other pix?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

I need to dig out the other photo's, which I'll do during the week, then get the missus to scan 'em for me (yes, that's why they're wobbly, she did them whilst playing WoW).

Anyway, I googled the M6 and it does look like that's what it is. Its most certainly not an M10 or a Ram, and it did have a fully enclosed turret. I have a feeling that it was designed to be be a heavier replacement for the M4 but did not make it due to the wars end, plus the M26 was making its first appearance. Notice the front lower hull where the transmission is housed - definitely looks like an late model M4 component, and i think thats basically what the M6 was - a beefed-up Sherman.

I'm hoping that the archivist at Bovington will provide some answers. Interesting innit?

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

I've found it! it's the T14 Assault tank. It was supposed to be produced in the US for the British as part of lend-lease but was dropped when the Brits decided on the M4 line as cruiser and the Churchill as heavy. It has the narrower mantlet shown in the picture and sloped hull sides. Also note the shape of the hull mg enclosure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T14_Heavy_Tank

bob48

Aha!
I found the original photo's and on the back I had written a note of what it is - its a T14 Heavy Tank.  Obviously, the T designation indicated a test / experimental / pre-production version, so not sure if it ever got to the M14 designation stage.

A quick google brings up some info, and it seems that it did use components from both the M4 and M6.

I'm away to find more :-))

'Clip those corners'