The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: bostonmyk on December 19, 2012, 09:18:55 PM
Quote from: spelk on December 19, 2012, 05:32:15 PM
I thought the name "Command" was one chosen as a winner out of a competition to name the game!

I still think Red Pill was a better more identifiable/catchy name.

Perhaps "Naval War Z" will sell more copied? ;)

True.  Armchair was nice enough to host the contest and their poster's decided.

So... wait, this isn't a new Command:Ops game from Panther??

I have confusion...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

with no disrespect to dimitris meant if its a little off target, but for me this is all the harpoons and arctic naval war and then some and a lot more rolled into one.

Dimitris - i guess everyone pressing you on your own forum for a release date and you eventually saying 'its ok, a publisher had been found and will be revealed shortly' led a few (including me) to believe that was the only obstacle in the way of release. But i fully understand the reluctance to name a date - i dont agree ( :) ) but i understand

spelk

If Dimitris is willing to drip feed us information about the game, progress, features, addressing concerns, I'm sure there'll be a flotilla of salivating purchasers lined up to dock with the money machine - and keeping the games profile high in our thoughts is way better publicity that even the mighty Matrix can deliver... probably.

Thanks Dimitris, for stepping in and providing answers for us, especially here.

Bismarck

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 20, 2012, 02:11:41 PM

I have confusion...

No, it's not a Command Ops game; it's a naval game ala Harpoon.
Jim Cobb

Dimitris

Quote from: Bismarck on December 20, 2012, 06:30:05 PM

I would rather emphasize the "air/naval" description. Harpoon was always heavy on the naval side with a bit of air stuff sprinkled on top almost as an afterthought. Command is much more balanced on the modelling between air and naval operations, and also brings in additional assets that influence this domain (land units, satellites etc.).
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

JudgeDredd

Question Dimitris (and my apologies for not going to your site and read - I will do!) - as this is modelling air and naval warfare with lots of detail, are there any Falklands Conflict scenarios?
Alba gu' brath

Dimitris

We had a "modern Falklands" scenario created during development called "Stand Up", here's a screenshot from it:

I don't know yet if this is going to be included on the v1 release, I will have to ask its author if he intends to update it to Command's current functionality.

We also have a backlog of both historic (1982) and modern what-if Falklands scenarios from our Harpoon-3 days, see here: http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=19#1 . We intend to port these to Command at some point after v1, either as individual free releases or as an add-on scenario pack.

JudgeDredd

I have to say if you get Falklands scenarios in there, then I'll defo buy. I know you aren't going to put them in on the say so of a Scotsman saying he'll buy - just letting you know I need them in there  ;D
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Quote from: Bismarck on December 20, 2012, 06:30:05 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on December 20, 2012, 02:11:41 PM

I have confusion...

Well yes, I got the latter part pretty quickly when I read the thread title.  :P

In principle the two concepts aren't mutually exclusive, though.

Of course, the real title isn't "Command: Ops" or some variation--that was just a handy abbreviation for the purpose of thread titling. Still, when I read the thread title, I immediately wondered if Panther Games had snuck a march without anyone knowing about and was close to releasing a Harpoonish game using a variation of their proprietary game engine!

Thus my joke.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Matrix has posted some new screenshots.

Also glad to hear there will be tutorial scenarios...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Dimitris

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Good lord...LETS GOOOOOOO. I've been watching this game for years and development just keeps going.... I just get the feeling they are just continuing to add new and more and more things, i mean, eventually you have to stop adding stuff and just release the game.

There... okay..... I feel better. got that out of my system. glad to hear guys! I can't wait for this game!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dimitris

This is the standard curse of late-night projects..... timescales are a lot different when you can dedicate at best a couple hours each day (and occasionally have to do long dry spells depending on family or day-job needs).

Not much one can do other than keep on.

SgtRock

Looking at the screen shot, there are major things I don't like:

1. Unit Names & Types, What is mummy brothers, What is HMS Portland, the game needs to display unit types, along with the name.

2. Game needs Aircraft, Ship, Sub, etc, icons, same as above, other wise your going to eliminate anyone who isn't a super hard core grog.

Anyone know of a board wargame that just use doesn't have ship/aircraft icons?, Matrix should know better than this! This is the type of crap that keeps Wargames limited and unaccessible to most game players. What's the marketing plan, sell it to just Harpoon fans?