Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan – Official Teaser Trailer

Started by Destraex, April 23, 2019, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Looks a little like a lot of American films. Over dramatised. Especially since these blokes were aussies and less loud and showy by nature. But I will take what I can get. I really hope they dig deep into the psyche of the average Aussie soldier like they did with Platoon. But I doubt we will see that. I want them to really research each individual soldier and get how they reacted properly on camera.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

American combat infantry are not "loud and showy". They are professionals and the protectors of the free world. This is just a common misconception perpetuated by Hollywood.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Was that Ragnor Lothbrook with them there? Damn, give him a sword and the Aussies can't loose.  :knuppel2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 23, 2019, 08:39:52 PM
American combat infantry are not "loud and showy". They are professionals and the protectors of the free world. This is just a common misconception perpetuated by Hollywood.
I just meant that my perception of the Hollywood's US soldier is a loud and showy gent and I know that Aussies if anything are quiet and introspective usually. I certainly did not accuse them of being unprofessional. Having said that, the few Americans I have met have been more loud (but maybe not showy) than the average Australian. You guys certainly seem to speak at a different volume level and from the deep chest rather than the throat in standard conversation. Just my personal observation. My sample size is obviously tiny. I did just get back from Hawaii, but those guys do not seem like they would be typical, if that is even a thing. I imagine from state to state or even town to town it differs.

One thing I have always wondered of ww2 pacific and vietnam is whether the US command (and troops) considered Australia too small and not much of a help, but rather a political inclusion than a fighting force. Logistically we would have been a pain in the butt I imagine.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on April 24, 2019, 02:19:55 AM

One thing I have always wondered of ww2 pacific and vietnam is whether the US command (and troops) considered Australia too small and not much of a help, but rather a political inclusion than a fighting force. Logistically we would have been a pain in the butt I imagine.

I think Australian participation and contribution to allied war efforts has never been viewed as inconsequential or unhelpful. In fact, my perception has always been the opposite. Australians played a significant role in both world wars, and the fact that Australia even sent troops to Vietnam speaks volumes.

As far as being loud and obnoxious, of course this varies from individual to individual and the US does not overall have a monopoly in this department, despite common belief. I hate to break it to you, but I've met some fairly loud and showy Australians in my travels and extremely rude Europeans too. Sometimes foreigners are exposed to the worst in the form of tourists. I just read a story the other day about a Chinese tourist in Thailand who literally defacated on a crowded popular beach. That's right, she took a dump in broad daylight for all the world to see. How's that for loud and obnoxious?  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

My impression about the military's impression of ANZAC in Vietnam and WW2 Pacific, is that Aussy/Zealots are kind of like Chuck Norris levels of awesome.  8) The ANZAC forces in Vietnam earned special credit for their deep field tactics, where they preferred to send out long-term patrols to find and ambush VC form-up points -- I think the strategy was, if they form up here, here, or here, destroy them all at the first opportunity; but if they form up here then leave them alone and just report back to base so that other ANZAC groups in a wider orbit can get in position to ambush them away from their FUP. Which worked great: the VC thought the remaining FUP was undiscovered and that ANZAC troops were just magical death gods at patrolling.

Incidentally, I recall reading an account of the South Pacific land battles where some Japanese officers were asked about their opinion of British, ANZAC, and American forces. If I recall correctly, they were surprised but impressed at how well the British took to jungle fighting. They were impressed but not surprised that ANZAC forces were so great at it, and definitely preferred not to ever have to deal with them (if given a choice of opponents). Whereas, they liked to grimly joke that the US wasn't so great at jungle fighting -- but in a way that was actually worse because the US then just DESTROYED THE JUNGLE FIRST!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!