Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Rayfer

I'm jealous  Tuna...played a variety of Total War games without  ever finishing a campaign.  :(

Sir Slash

In Russia, you no finish Total War campaigns-- Total War campaigns finish YOU.  :knuppel2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

I've yet to finish a Warhammer one, maybe I'll attempt that next. Last time I tried, I did get my butt handed to me! "A shamefrul dispray!"

Sir Slash

Warhammer: 1, Me: 0 also. My butt doesn't look that bad when handed to me on a silver platter garnished with the frustration of others along side.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

Same, just that horde from the North and then vampires, undead, on and on. But I think it was the dwarfs in the end that got me.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 17, 2018, 12:47:46 PM
Warhammer: 1, Me: 0 also. My butt doesn't look that bad when handed to me on a silver platter garnished with the frustration of others along side.

Gotta love the epic pug poetry.

Sir Slash

I managed to screw the Brittonian pooch in about 10 turns, my first campaign. Since then I restarted and am doing better but don't underestimate this game, it can Bitch-slap you outta nowhere.

-budd-

Finished Layers of Fear, 6 hours to complete.

Spooky walking simulator with decent graphics and good sound effects with lots of jump scares. The puzzles are pretty good, there was about three that held me up a bit. From the start you can tell the game is heading you towards some kind of awful family tragedy, bit by bit you learn the extent of the tragedy through the usual notes left around and objects that start audio parts that advance the story. The game does a good job of giving you the feeling that the main character is descending into an ever spiraling decent into madness, and you kind of want to know the event that precipitated the tragedy for a once happy family, or maybe he's just bat shit crazy. I'm sure i missed some story parts but i don't thinks it's ever really concretely explained and maybe that's for best, leaving it to the player's imagination. I apparently got the most common ending , of which there are three. The game has a steady pace, except if you get stuck on a puzzle or two, it does a good job of moving forward. The crazy effects in an ever changing environment are well done. All in all for a couple of bucks i paid for it the ride was worth it. If you want to chill out with a spooky walking simulator with lots of jump scares, puzzles and a horrible tragic story this is one of the better ones.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

Way to go Budd!  :clap:  I approve this message.

-budd-

Since Slitherines PBEM server seems to be having issues which put my pbem turns in limbo, i thought i'd go for another short game.

Finished Amensia: A Machine for Pigs
Took 5 hours but felt like longer. The Dark Decent was better. You can pretty much put the story together when your not that far into the game. The audio is good and the environments are good enough, the environments do have a creepy vibe but that's about it.There are long stretches of pretty much not a lot going on, there's the usual Frictional Games puzzles, take a cog there, a fuse here, so on and so forth.  I died 3 times but that probably had to do with i started running everywhere about halfway through the game, which is never a good sign. The story wasn't interesting enough to push me forward by itself and the game doesn't really have many danger elements to it. When i got near what i thought was the ending, nope, had to turn around and undo what i had done in game......that surprised me and not in a good way. In the end i had to force myself to complete it, i knew i was close because i googled average play time of the game. All in all i'd recommend a pass on this one, there are better ways to spend your gaming time no matter what the price of the game is.

-budd-

Finished SOMA: 13 hours, slow pace, died 6 times. Probably could of finished sooner but got lost in the dark one long time, you know that door that is right where you left it but you can't find it ::). Another time i was playing hide and seek with a nasty in darkened corridors for awhile, that was funny and tense at the same time.

Soma was a satisfying gaming experience, Frictional Games redeems itself after the horrible Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. Didn't know much about Soma going in and the premise came out of the blue. The pacing was good, and the puzzles were pretty logical and didn't hold up the story. The story deals with some weighty issues and your given a few weighty choices along the way, i think i got the good ending. The sound in Frictional games is always top notch and go a long way to setting the tense, wanna crap your pants mood :wow: Recommended to turn out the lights and throw the headphones on. I really enjoyed the stealth is this game, i mean its kinda mandatory since you cant fight back. The game really has a tense, claustrophobic atmosphere, and the screams......the screams. You'll find yourself stopping to listen, peeking around corners, and saying O shit a few times when the lights go out. There was one irritating chase sequence which accounted for 3 of my deaths and had me cussing because i kept taking wrong turns L:-) but that one section didn't ruin anything and had more to do with my lack of directional sense than anything else. I'd say turn the lights out, put the headphones, take your time and sink yourself into SOMA, i enjoyed it, and if this is your type of game i'm guessing you will to.

I'll post some screenshots in the screenshot thread.

Huw the Poo

Nice, budd!  I think Soma is a bona fide masterpiece.  It's a masterclass in storytelling within a game; the pacing is exactly right, the voice acting is excellent (particularly the two leads), the world is one of the most immersive and believable I've ever experienced, the reveals are handled superbly.  It's one of the few games I've ever finished, and I can't usually handle scary games.  I can't wait to see what Frictional make next.  They didn't make A Machine for Pigs by the way, that was contracted out to The Chinese Room I believe.

The chase sequence where you died three times...was that [spoiler]after unplugging the cables in the engine room of the Curie?[/spoiler]  That's the only place I had any difficulty with too, until I realised the foolproof way of finding the way out.

Stunning game.  Anyone who is intrigued but won't play it for any reason, I strongly suggest finding a commentary-free walkthrough on Youtube.  It's about 7 hours (depending on the Youtuber of course) and worth every minute.

-budd-

Hey Huw, notice the date of that post of yours, reads for me as April 28, 2012...weird.

Yea, i know the Chinese Room did the game, but Frictional put their name on it, had to know it wasn't that good or maybe not. I had no experience with the Chinese Room, never played Dear Esther and don't get me wrong i like a good walk sim every now and then but the word i read on Esther was that was all their was to the game, walking and listening.

Soma was pretty damn good O0, i'm always looking for games like that. I just wish someone would make a game where there's a balance between forced stealth and an ability to fight back. Every time i play one of these games i'm trying to pick up blunt objects in the environment :knuppel2: it would at least make my character feel better.

Yup, that was the sequence. I'm just bad at remembering directions, i ended up doing 3 dry practice runs before starting. First i' tried to get some distance, then hide, that didn't work. Then i realized you have to run. How about that section where your playing hide and seek with the nasty,the mad dash for the ladder section, had a little trouble figuring out where to go :DD, must of played hide and seek for almost an hour.

I enjoy this guy's style, there's commentary but it pretty natural and not overdone. I think i like him because we have similar play styles. Here the first part of the series. Soma takes a bit to get going so its worth sticking with it, either playing or watching.

I'm installing the Evil Within 1, going to give that a go.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: -budd- on November 11, 2018, 12:14:36 PM
Yup, that was the sequence. I'm just bad at remembering directions, i ended up doing 3 dry practice runs before starting. First i' tried to get some distance, then hide, that didn't work. Then i realized you have to run. How about that section where your playing hide and seek with the nasty,the mad dash for the ladder section, had a little trouble figuring out where to go :DD, must of played hide and seek for almost an hour.

Yeah, absolutely terrifying.  For me, the scariest part of the whole game is:

[spoiler]In Omicron after gathering the parts of the diving suit you need, when the last Robot Girl chases you into the room where the suits are.  The screams as she chases you followed by the banging on the door after you frantically shout at Catherine to lock it...holy shit I can't believe I actually did this without having a breakdown![/spoiler]