That moment when you find you already own the game - Star Ruler 2

Started by Tuna, October 29, 2017, 07:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

So a sale for Star Ruler flashes on my Steam startup screen, and I'm like "That sounds familiar, how come I haven't looked into this game". Of course I go and look and I already own Star Ruler 2.. I guess I never played it (Looking at a tips video on YouTube, I think the mass amounts of ships turned me off). Any thoughts on this one, is it worth diving into?

Jarhead0331

The SR games both had missed potential in my opinion. Although SR2 had some really unique ideas, it still failed to hold my attention. On top of it, I always thought the developers had a piss poor attitude, particularly when it came to criticism, questions and suggestions. It was bad enough to where it actually turned me off of the games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

I don't own SRII but I've gone to Steam to purchase a game only to discover I already own it often enough to realize I need help......  8) ??? ::)

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2017, 09:20:29 AM
The SR games both had missed potential in my opinion. Although SR2 had some really unique ideas, it still failed to hold my attention. On top of it, I always thought the developers had a piss poor attitude, particularly when it came to criticism, questions and suggestions. It was bad enough to where it actually turned me off of the games.

+1. Perfect summary on all points.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Anguille

We, i have the game as well but haven't had time to play it yet (too many games, kids and the game not being on top of my list). That being said, i've followed the forums and read the reviews...they are very positive. Many enjoy the game so there's a good chance that you may like it too. I am not sure yet as it's a little too abstract for me but i know i'll give it some time because i think it's worth it.

mikeck

Stuff was too big for me. Building 1000's of ships. Ships the size of stars. Bleh. I wanted to like it and like JH said, there was some good stuff, like how resources were pooled and developed on planets and such. But I didn't like it. The reasons above had something to do with but SHOULDNT have been enough to turn me off. Yet it was

There are a lot of space 4xs out there now, you can do better
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bbmike

I haven't played it yet either but it constantly gets praise for having the best diplomacy in a 4x game. For that reason alone I have to try it at some point.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tuna

Quote from: mikeck on October 30, 2017, 08:49:28 PM
Stuff was too big for me. Building 1000's of ships. Ships the size of stars. Bleh. I wanted to like it and like JH said, there was some good stuff, like how resources were pooled and developed on planets and such. But I didn't like it. The reasons above had something to do with but SHOULDNT have been enough to turn me off. Yet it was

There are a lot of space 4xs out there now, you can do better

That was I think the one thing that turned me off when I first bought it and was going through the tutorials.. 1000's of ships? I really don't want to deal with 1000's of ships!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on October 31, 2017, 05:22:00 AM
I haven't played it yet either but it constantly gets praise for having the best diplomacy in a 4x game. For that reason alone I have to try it at some point.

No way.  Not even close. Now, there were some very interesting and unique concepts with diplomacy, but I felt that they were overly "gamey" so it's not a system I prefer. But really, "best diplomacy in a 4x game..."? Hardly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tactical Wargamer

I found SR2 second only to the newer Stellaris. It still in my mind the 2nd best 4'Xer on the market. Great MP options too.
@TacticWargamer

OJsDad

SR2 is $6.24 on sale right now, would those of you that have it recommend it for that price. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.