What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

That's the same size as the fish in Red Lobster's Seafood Combo.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

if youre eating at red lobster youre doing it wrong.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bbmike

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 13, 2018, 11:06:59 PM
That's the same size as the fish in Red Lobster's Seafood Combo.  ::)

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 13, 2018, 11:09:15 PM
if youre eating at red lobster youre doing it wrong.

Yeah, Sir Slash, especially if you live in Florida!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: MetalDog on February 13, 2018, 10:17:07 PM
How about a picture of an atom?

https://qz.com/1205279/photo-of-an-atom-a-scientist-captured-an-incredible-photograph/

While cool, the scale seems off. If the electrodes are 2 mm apart that "atom" is huge! Unless what we're seeing is actually an atom in motion as it's trapped in the electric field..... a single Strontium atom is only 4.30×10-10 m in diameter.

Sir Slash

One thing we do have in Florida is some damn fine Seafood Restaurants even in my little land-locked town. Problem is, if you're a native, you can only get in them between May and September and only then with a gun in each hand. My brother and I were going to have lunch at a nice outside place back in December and they only took on-line reservations a day in advance.  :o   They page you on your phone when your table's available. The word 'walk-in' has no meaning there. But the food's damned good.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

Quote from: Barthheart on February 14, 2018, 08:10:46 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 13, 2018, 10:17:07 PM
How about a picture of an atom?

https://qz.com/1205279/photo-of-an-atom-a-scientist-captured-an-incredible-photograph/

While cool, the scale seems off. If the electrodes are 2 mm apart that "atom" is huge! Unless what we're seeing is actually an atom in motion as it's trapped in the electric field..... a single Strontium atom is only 4.30×10-10 m in diameter.

but it's still the light emission record of a single atom....      \m/
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Yeah, come on. Even I know that organostrontium compounds contain one or more strontium–carbon bonds.

Some people.  ::)

Staggerwing

Oh oh- it finally happened.

B_C is now staying at a Holiday Inn Express.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

So that's where I left 'em!

The site is not many miles from where I live.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!