Main Menu

Recent posts

Current Events / Re: RUSI article on Attritiona...
Last post by FarAway Sooner - Yesterday at 12:19:15 PM
NATO could do a lot to promote air superiority over the Russians.  It's unclear if NATO has the ability to sweep the skies of cheap and plentiful Russian drones which seem to have been revealed as among the primary enemies of maneuver warfare.

If they can't, while it's more likely that we could use our own aerial surveillance to identify and neutralize Russian artillery, it's not a sure thing.  I sure hope the US is already building tens of thousands of disposable recce drones, but seeing as how that won't line the pockets of many key Congressional districts, I can see us continuing to focus on the multi-million $$ drones that are five times as survivable and thirty times as expensive.

Western procurement strategy hasn't been terribly rational even as relates to weapons we're making for Ukraine, who happens to be fighting at arms length.  All the emphasis on transferring stockpiles of M1s and Lep2s and HIMARS and Patriot launchers is great, but I think the Ukrainians would have been better served with more ammo for their artillery, their HIMARS and their PATRIOTs. 

I deeply suspect that much of the doctrine that has emerged for the NATO powers in arming Ukraine is driven by what makes the defense corporations rich, as opposed to what Ukraine needs to preserve its borders and save its people.  For those who aren't so busy oohing and ahhing over our wonderful weapons systems, I think even the limited demands of the Ukraine conflict have exposed a real flaw in the procurement systems for the US and especially NATO.
Current Events / Re: The Great American Solar E...
Last post by Sigwolf - Yesterday at 12:15:57 PM
I was fortunate enough to be in an area of mostly clear totality.  The coolest thing was the way the color of everything looked different immediately before and after... almost like looking through some strangely polarized sunglasses.  The effect of a 360 degree sunset/sunrise over the course of a few minutes was also incredible. 

Just a surreal visual experience.
Computer Gaming / Re: Headquarters: World War II
Last post by Grimnirsson - Yesterday at 11:37:31 AM
I watched a German review video and the guy said the tanks don't have armor value, penetration factors etc. but are wholly dependent on the life points of their crew, so if they got hit inside the tank gets weaker...is that correct? I mean it sounds silly...
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: A feel good thread
Last post by Gusington - Yesterday at 11:15:20 AM
Me or the raccoon?
Books & Reading / History of the Calgary Highlan...
Last post by Michael Dorosh - Yesterday at 10:56:02 AM
A new pictorial history of the Calgary Highlanders is up for preorder at amazon.ca (also should be available at the .com site).  I am the author. Not sure how many grogs here will find it of interest but thought I'd mention it. Not a lot of granularity at the tactical level as the book is 440 pages covering over 110 years of history, but for general interest covers some broad topics - in particular the role the prewar Militia in 1914 played in shaping the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Billed as a picture book the text runs about 100,000 words and covers Canadian defence policy from the period 1910 to present. Calgarians especially will appreciate some of the discussion of the relationship between the regiment and the city. The regiment served in the 1st Canadian Division of the First World War, the 2nd Division in the Second, and currently is a reserve unit of 3rd Canadian Division that sent more soldiers to Afghanistan than any other Canadian reserve unit.

https://www.amazon.ca/Calgarys-Infantry-Regiment-Pictorial-Highlanders/dp/096946164X/
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: A feel good thread
Last post by Windigo - Yesterday at 10:53:48 AM
How the hell that little guy doesn't end up chopped up....
Current Events / Re: Israel
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Yesterday at 09:35:33 AM
its a lot of kissingeresque diplomacy, thats for sure.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Fallout
Last post by W8taminute - Yesterday at 09:01:33 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 14, 2024, 09:50:00 PMEven my wife likes it...and that is saying something.

That's awesome.  I tried to trick my wife into watching "a new romance drama series" on Amazon but she didn't buy it.  Oh well, better that I geeked out alone anyways.   :grin:
Current Events / Re: The Great American Solar E...
Last post by Con - Yesterday at 09:00:48 AM
One description i read that helped convince me was that the difference between 99% and totality is the same as reading the menue at a 4 star restaurant and eating there 
After going through it I have to agree
Quote from: Gusington on Yesterday at 08:21:44 AM^Yeah an eclipse certainly provides a special kinda vibe that is hard to explain.
[/quote
Current Events / Re: Israel
Last post by W8taminute - Yesterday at 08:59:02 AM
I don't know Steve but something doesn't add up. 

Why would the media be advertising that such and such will happen soon and here is how its going to happen?  In the old days wars would be fought and the public at large wouldn't be aware of what happened until after the fact. 

Today with modern media reports we get a blow by blow description of what is happening and what to expect.  Could secret meetings be taking place behind closed doors in which all interested parties agree to behave in a certain manner when attacking and defending? 

Its almost like watching a movie with the media acting as the narrator to keep the masses up to date on what's happening.