Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

^Cool! Great site!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

http://forces.tv/25691873

Odd names for UK warships.  In the Nineteenth century, when sailors wore the ship's name on their flathats, there must have been some interesting bar fights.
Of course, HMS Pansy is in a class all its own.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteHMS Victorious (R38) leaving Sydney, Australia in 1967.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteJapan Maritime Self-Defense Force Hayabusa-class guided-missile patrol boat

mirth

QuoteA Royal Navy Valiant Class Attack Submarine cruises off HMNB Clyde on 14 May 1986.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on March 21, 2016, 11:59:40 AM
QuoteHMS Victorious (R38) leaving Sydney, Australia in 1967.

Aha! Now that ship has Buccaneers on the flight deck!

(...along with something that looks suspiciously like a Fairey Gannet.)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

^Truth be told, I posted that for you. And it is a Gannet forward of the Bucs.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

You've earned redemption  O0

mirth

QuoteUSS Daniel Webster (SSBN-626) Arriving at Pearl Harbor March of 1970

mirth

QuoteAmerican Destroyers from 1864 to 2016

mirth

QuoteMap of River Thames showing comparative range of naval guns firing upon London (Illustrated London News, 24 July 1909)

mirth

mirth

QuoteResupply day at McMurdo Station in Antarctica on 13 February 1971, with a pair of US Coast Guard Icebreakers supporting US and New Zealand Naval Auxiliaries delivering dry goods and fuel.