Collectible Minis Games

Started by bayonetbrant, May 23, 2012, 09:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

A&A Minis from WotC or Clix-based games from WizKids...  Chat away here!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

one of the nice things about a lot of the clix games - esp Mage Knight (the original) and Mechwarrior - you can find buckets of them on sale from a lot of vendors at convention dirt-freakin'-cheap. 

Last summer at Origins, I budgeted myself $20 for Mage Knight figs.  I bought $10 of $1 boosters, and the other $10 split between $2 and $3 boosters (different expansions had different prices).  I got over 80 figs for $20.  I'm not in love w/ Mage Knight (only played it a few times back when it was first released) but I picked up a truckload of nice, pre-painted minis that I can use for D&D, Dungeoneer, Savage Worlds, etc.  A little xacto work to pop the figs off their bases and reglue them to something a better size, and I'm off and running.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I'm thinking of grabbing some of the Mechwarrior and Star Trek Clix minis to use with other rules. May grab some of the superhero and fantasy figs for my kids. My daughter is old enough now that I may be able to start her playing HeroClix.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on May 23, 2012, 09:08:59 AM
I'm thinking of grabbing some of the Mechwarrior and Star Trek Clix minis to use with other rules. May grab some of the superhero and fantasy figs for my kids. My daughter is old enough now that I may be able to start her playing HeroClix.

I'd love to have some Star Trek ones just hanging around on the book shelves.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on May 23, 2012, 09:12:30 AM

20 years ago I had dozens of the Micro Machines Star Trek minis. That was a great line and they were perfect for playing FASAs Starship combat game.

Like many other awesome things from my youth, I foolishly gave all the figs away in a fit of house cleaning.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on May 23, 2012, 09:17:20 AM

20 years ago I had dozens of the Micro Machines Star Trek minis. That was a great line and they were perfect for playing FASAs Starship combat game.

Like many other awesome things from my youth, I foolishly gave all the figs away in a fit of house cleaning.

I lost I-don't-know-how-much stuff in a flood of my parents' basement several years ago. The one that haunts me was a copy of Yaquinto's Swashbuckler. I think about that game every couple of weeks. Doubt I'd play it, but I sure wish I had it.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: mirth on May 23, 2012, 09:08:59 AM

I wonder how the Star Trek Clix game plays... looks like it would have potential.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

mirth

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on May 23, 2012, 03:25:01 PM
Here's a review from ACG. I thought it was pretty informative.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/star-trek-heroclix-tactics-miniatures-game-review.htm

Rick is a good writer. They're lucky to have him. He really knows his stuff.

TheCommandTent

I have some Axis and Allies minis sitting around.  I bought several booster packs but soon realized that I was getting to many repeats and would have to shell out way to much money to buy individual figures.  They haven't seen the light of day in I don't know how long.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 23, 2012, 07:53:39 PM
I have some Axis and Allies minis sitting around.  I bought several booster packs but soon realized that I was getting to many repeats and would have to shell out way to much money to buy individual figures.  They haven't seen the light of day in I don't know how long.

I have cases of D&D minis that I loved to use with the RPG, but I just haven't gamed since 4.0.

The only minis I'm using ATM are Flame of War, though I'm thinking about getting back into Dystopian.

Bison

Is there a ruleset for the D&D minis?  I've seen a starter set for sale online, but is it a seperate game or accessories for TT?

*EDIT* I figured it out with my google skillz.  I've got several boxes somewhere that I originally purchased to use as minis if I ever got to play TT again.  Guess I didn't realize at the time it was also a stand alone game.

bayonetbrant

The stand-alone game is a stripped-down version of the basic DD4e combat, without experience/progression.  The mechanics are the same; the range of options available are not.  But there's nothing stopping you from pulling out any of the powers from the DD4e rules and using them in the minis game.

meadbelly

WotC is releasing a new "sklrmish" game this summer. "Dungeon Command."

I don't know how the rules differ from the D&D Minis ruleset, but I think it is trying to get a piece of that action back. Minis will be available apparently no longer blind, and in boxed groups. The listing for the first two products on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dungeon+command

These will be good for folks who haven't spend an inappropriate amount of money on minis already, and don't have , for example, 20 goblins to already choose from.

Bison

Nice.  I'll like the fact that it will not be a blind booster pack collectable game.