Main Menu

Field of Glory II

Started by Anguille, June 13, 2017, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Okay, this has my attention.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

SirAndrewD

I would provide detailed comment, but I have drowned in loin moistness.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

IICptMillerII

Holy crap, this looks amazing!

I love operational/strategic layers, and I love Rome. This will be a day one purchase for me. Time to add another forum to become a refresh monkey on!

Shout out to Nefaro for posting the announcement!

Gusington

This is a contender to challenge the Total War game system.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2018, 09:02:40 PM

Indeed.

There is much loin moistness here.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2018, 09:02:40 PM

I disagree. 

If there is a good campaign system coupled with the FOG Battle system, there's no challenger for it on the market.  Total War is an arcade game compared to FOG II.

This is something I've wanted, well, forever. 

This is its own thing and appeals to a different market that has been starved for this for a long time.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^Depends on the Total War game you're referring to.

How'd they keep this quiet for so long??

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 19, 2018, 10:01:53 PM
^Depends on the Total War game you're referring to.

How'd they keep this quiet for so long??

I honestly don't think anything Total War has done can compare to what is seemingly offered here. 

I mean, I love the Total War games, but the tactical side of the engine is fun, engaging, but leaves a lot to be desired in actually simulating the conflicts it claims to represent. 

I guess I'm behind one since I never played Thrones of Britannia, and I know the wars it represents scale better to its engine.   Still, I can't wait to see FOG II coupled with a proper campaign. 

I don't know how they kept it quiet.  But Christmas came early there.

jomni

Interesting to point out that the developer is AGEOD but they're not using the AGE engine. They are using the Archon engine used by FoG II and WH4k. So an engine that's used for tile-based games can be used for WEGO map-based as well.

If the strategy/operational layer is as deep as other AGEOD games, then we might really have a winner here. We can now partake directly in battle through FoG 2. AGEOD combat is something that many can't get into.

2 hour twitch video.
https://m.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup/profile

HoodedHorseJoe

It's interesting how Slitherine using the FOG IP has made everyone think of this as a new campaign layer for FOG2, when I'd bet my favourite gloves that the decision to use the name and export battles to FOG2 was made long after the game was already well into Alpha development.

I've seen some people scoff at Empires because they prefer the campaign system used in Pike & Shot. It's an argument that kind of misses the point - this is a grand-strategy game aimed at taking on Imperator: Rome and Total War. Because it uses the Archon engine (as does FOG2), it's probably an easier technical feat to export battles etc... than it would be if this was still the AGE engine.

And because it's easier to do spin-offs these days then launch new IP (even with AGEOD's reputation), it was probably decided to slap the IP on.

Quote from: jomni on November 20, 2018, 01:35:38 AM
Interesting to point out that the developer is AGEOD but they're not using the AGE engine. They are using the Archon engine used by FoG II and WH4k.

If the strategy operational layer is as deep as other AGEOD games, then we might really have a winner here.

2 hour twitch video.
https://m.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup/profile

I suspect it won't be as deep, but it may swing in that direction. There definitely seems to be a lot of features around setting up your armies, tactics, RoE etc... how you like, but I don't know if it'll cover logistics that heavily, as past AGEOD games have.

Worth nothing that the tactical battles within FOG:E are auto-resolved (using the settings you choose) - you can only fight them yourself if you export to FOG2 (and the results can be exported back into Empires to decide the result).
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Grim.Reaper

certainly looks good but guessing we have awhile to wait yet.  think i saw something say 2919....was any more precise date given somewhere?

i do like the option of combining fog battles but i hope they make the import and export process very quick because if it becomes a chore, likely would just auto resolve.

Tamas

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 20, 2018, 06:00:22 AM
certainly looks good but guessing we have awhile to wait yet.  think i saw something say 2919....was any more precise date given somewhere?

i do like the option of combining fog battles but i hope they make the import and export process very quick because if it becomes a chore, likely would just auto resolve.

I guess it should be noted that Empires is a full-fledged grand strategy game on its own. Its own default battle system is an integral part of the game as we tried to show during the stream. Not using FOG2 to resolve battles should not be thought of as "auto-resolving" in, say, a Total War sense.

jomni

So you actually see the battle happening as it unfolds. It's more informative than previous AGEOD games.

Gusington

Either way this gives me a woody.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd