Best Single Player

Started by JudgeDredd, March 13, 2019, 03:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stolypin

Quote from: Toonces on March 15, 2019, 03:56:22 PM
Phantom Fury was my first idea.

I've always wanted to try Fields of Fire.  I have no idea how it plays, but it sounds neat and has great reviews.

Bought it (including deep dish counter trays just for it), watched numerous videos and read numerous articles.  But haven't gotten up the courage to dive into the rules (which appear to be the most complex of any game I have ever played). 

DennisS

Quote from: stolypin on March 19, 2019, 09:17:05 AM

I've always wanted to try Fields of Fire.  I have no idea how it plays, but it sounds neat and has great reviews.

Bought it (including deep dish counter trays just for it), watched numerous videos and read numerous articles.  But haven't gotten up the courage to dive into the rules (which appear to be the most complex of any game I have ever played).

I came very close to purchasing Fields of Fire. The missus was on Amazon, and saw that Fields of Fire II is coming out. So...I'll wait. Then I read that FoF II was initially due out a LONG time ago, so now I'm conflicted. Not sure what to purchase.

I think I'll spring for plaay.sports Red White and Blue Racin', a terrific solo NASCAR game.

smittyohio

Quote from: DennisS on April 12, 2019, 09:23:42 AM
Quote from: stolypin on March 19, 2019, 09:17:05 AM

I came very close to purchasing Fields of Fire. The missus was on Amazon, and saw that Fields of Fire II is coming out. So...I'll wait. Then I read that FoF II was initially due out a LONG time ago, so now I'm conflicted. Not sure what to purchase.

I think I'll spring for plaay.sports Red White and Blue Racin', a terrific solo NASCAR game.

Fields of Fire II is at the printers now, and slated for a mid-April or so release.

airboy

I'm seriously thinking of picking up Rommel by DVG games.

DennisS

Quote from: airboy on May 30, 2019, 11:53:45 AM
I'm seriously thinking of picking up Rommel by DVG games.

You can't really go wrong with DVG games. I would suggest that Field Commander: Napoleon is a better game. Much larger, and pricier, but better.

airboy

Rommel has arrived.

I've ordered Nimitz.  Looking forward to getting them.

I've also contracted to buy Ottoman Sunset about the Turks in WW1 at Origins (see: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84465/ottoman-sunset).

DennisS

Quote from: airboy on June 01, 2019, 01:08:24 PM
Rommel has arrived.

I've ordered Nimitz.  Looking forward to getting them.

I've also contracted to buy Ottoman Sunset about the Turks in WW1 at Origins (see: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/84465/ottoman-sunset).

I have Nimitz, and have played it a fair amount. I am not keen on the idea that their ENTIRE fleet can appear at one of your rear area bases, bypassing your front lines. I appreciate that this is an ocean, and that there aren't front lines...but it just doesn't seem right that they can skip over a strong fleet presence to attack in the rear. You can't defend everywhere, and you end up in a whack-a-mole scenario, chasing what they did the previous turn. You can't leave a massive fleet at all locations, it just doesn't work.