Grogheads 2014 Fantasy Baseball Season

Started by Bison, February 23, 2014, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 09, 2014, 10:49:04 AM
so they're not closers, they're wayovertherers, huh?  ;)

wayfatherovertherers!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

Just checked the pitching stats.  I'm thinking the min innings might be better around 15 or so.  It's not looking good for all but one team to hit the 20 inning minimum.

MetalDog

The point of Innings Minimums is to encourage folks to play and penalize if you don't.  It's not fair to those who put in the time every day to lose to someone who hasn't touched their team since signing up for one.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on April 09, 2014, 08:46:19 PM
Just checked the pitching stats.  I'm thinking the min innings might be better around 15 or so.  It's not looking good for all but one team to hit the 20 inning minimum.

I wasn't complaining so much as bitching about a very odd coincidence.

Early in the season it can be tough to get 20 innings. I understand the goal of the minimum innings. Can you make it 15 in April then change it to 20 once the season gets in full swing and rotations get set?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

The scoring doesn't work like that unfortunately Marty.  I can change it but once you return it my understanding is that it'll retroactively rescore the previous weeks.

It's not about penalizing or rewarding.  It's about making sure the position changes we made this year are able to reliably support the minimum requirement for 20 innings pitched.  Emptying your everyday bench for extra pitchers isn't exactly an ideal situation either.  Anyway we'll see how it plays out with the 20 inning minimum.

Thanks.

MetalDog

The changes that were made will support the 20 innings minimum.  IF you are active in managing your team.  If not, then your lack of participation will hopefully be offset by the minimum.  That's why it is there.  If not that, then why?

Marty Ward

Crap. 18 innings pitched plus one of my starters goes on the DL. Thanks god it's a long season!!

Bison

Brant's team suffered the same fate Marty.  I'd have to look but I think he got 18 or 19 innings out of his pitching staff.  Ultimately I think everyone is going to need 5 or 6 reliable starters to rotate through the two slots during the week.  The RP give more leeway because in general you might see 4 innings tops during the week, but they can make up for it in the save, era, and whip categories.  The season is still young and some decent pitching is available and the onslaught of injured players has not really hit yet.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on April 15, 2014, 08:17:13 PM
Brant's team suffered the same fate Marty.  I'd have to look but I think he got 18 or 19 innings out of his pitching staff.  Ultimately I think everyone is going to need 5 or 6 reliable starters to rotate through the two slots during the week.  The RP give more leeway because in general you might see 4 innings tops during the week, but they can make up for it in the save, era, and whip categories.  The season is still young and some decent pitching is available and the onslaught of injured players has not really hit yet.

Usually April is the most difficult month to get through with all the rain outs and the schedule being sort of light. In my case I had something happen that I had never seen, 4 of my 5 starters pitched the same day and all my starters only pitched once that week. A single rain out probably would have solved my problem.

bayonetbrant

I think I've got my pitchers sorted to try to and get all the innings I need
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Pitching is defiantly going to take some management throughout the season to insure you have the daily starters in your lineup.  I've noticed in general the little ^ won't pop up next your pitcher until a couple of days out from his start, so it's hard with pitchers to forecast out your lineups more than those couple of days unlike position players.

bayonetbrant

So we're at the Durham Bulls game tonight, and instead of sausage races or president races, they have oversized heads for Nuke, Crash, and Annie.  Nice touch :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Played the first few Crash Bandicoot games with my (ex)wife when they came out.  My favorite was the MarioKart ripoff, Crash Team Racing.  LOVED to fall behind in a race to get a "Leader Ball."  Essentially an energy sphere and homing device, it would infallibly track down the leader and crash their car, allowing others some free time to catch up.  What was even better was when I was the leader and she got a Leader Ball.  Many was the time I crossed the finish line before the Leader Ball got me.  I would laugh wickedly and get a tongue lashing or smacked on the arm.  Which would make my smile grow even wider :)

I feel like an idiot.  I saw Crash and thought Bandicoot.    Then I realized, wrong media.  -shamefaced-

Bison

Excellent game this week Marty.  Pitching is going to break the game your way or mine.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on April 24, 2014, 09:44:40 PM
Excellent game this week Marty.  Pitching is going to break the game your way or mine.

Yes it has been back and forth. It's just like real life, pitching is always the issue.