Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

For those who are interested in the early Pacific War, Thomas Cleaver (author of Pacific Thunder) is doing a daily posting on Facebook.
Each day, he is recounting what happened on the same date in 1941.
Here is a tidbit on Wake Island

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.cleaver.710/posts/2560583280839564
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

The_Admiral

Hello there Besilarius! Thanks!
I am interested, but the link doesn't work - maybe one needs to be friend with the gentleman first? Or should it point to a page/group?
Just reaching for his personal profile will only show older posts...  ???

besilarius

I guess that you do need to put in a friend request.  The link works for me, and it never occurred to me that only Friends could see it.
Cleaver is a really good writer and has done a lot of research.  Here is an excerpt from today's post:

While the defenders at Wake endured the second day of attacks, USS Saratoga (CV-3) departed NAS North Island and cleared Point Loma. Flying the flag of Rear Admiral Aubrey Fitch as flagship of Carrier Division One and Task Force 15, the accompanying fleet included the heavy cruisers Astoria (CA-34), Minneapolis (CA-36) and San Francisco (CA-38), nine destroyers, the seaplane tender/transport USS Tangier (AV-8) and the fleet oiler USS Neches (AO-5).

Once clear of land, Saratoga turned into the wind and brought Air Group Three aboard. First to catch a wire on the freshly-renovated carrier was Lt. Commander John S. "Jimmy" Thach, commanding Fighting Three's 18 F4F-3s and the Navy's leading exponent of aerial gunnery; he was soon followed by Senior Division Leader Lieutenant Edward H. "Butch" O'Hare, who had graduated from Pensacola in May 1940 and started in the squadron as Thach's wingman. As Executive Officer at that time, Thach was responsible for the squadron's gunnery training; he later declared O'Hare was the best gunnery student he had ever encountered in his ten years as a naval aviator. During the fleet gunnery competition that November, eight of sixteen Fighting Three pilots had qualified for the coveted "Gunnery E," and Ensign O'Hare won the fleet trophy for best gunnery.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Incidentally, for snapshots? If you add width=x to your {img} command code, you'll not only automatically scale them, but they'll be click-expandable (and back).

Samples adjusted for coding below. I find the 1024 pixel width works best across the widest number of systems.

Quote from: The_Admiral on December 07, 2019, 10:38:21 PM
Ok, then you get one of her flatter, plainer sisters instead. Unlike Kaga, the lines of this one ain't the twerk-compatible kind I'd say.
Have to listen to the ways of the Gus, don't wanna get banned or anything - but if you don't like what you see, BLAME HIM! :knuppel2:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

(Meanwhile, good grief, where's the bridge on that converted carrier?! Really far up front I suppose?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

The_Admiral

Aye Jason. I used to do that but, but afterwards in the morning from bed I realized it doesn't even prevent display issues on a phone... But you're right, at least it does on a desktop machine. I'll try to keep to this good practice  :nerd:

Regarding Shoho, you can see the bridge here, under the flight deck. That's not the kind of carrier where anybody on the bridge would end up with a suntan by mistake, that's for sure...

The_Admiral

Hello there everybody - a small announcement of ours!

A little message to tell you that we've just - belatedly I'll admit - set up a mailing list for our website in order to keep you aware of DDG/Task Force Admiral most important announcements. 🥳

As you might have noticed, in the age of social networks, not a single one of them guarantees that a message like this one will actually show up in a user's feed. For an indie studio like ours, it means that we might very well miss an opportunity to tell you about the single most important piece of news happening to us simply because Youtube, Facebook, Twitter or whatever will have decided that it doesn't deserve the spotlight. 🥺 And although we all know you are men of courage and honor, you might very well - God forbid! - forget to visit Grogheads for a couple days (what would happen then - THE WORLD WONDERS).

We are doing what every experienced Indie we've met or watched so far told us to do: set up a mailing list. It appears that it is, by far, the  most reliable way to get in touch with you for the BIG NEWS. ❤️

When the time to launch on Steam comes, getting as quickly as possible a few thousand hits on the wishlist button can be the difference between large-scale awareness and oblivion. We count on those among you willing to give a hand to enlist to your nearest station by subscribing on the following link.

https://drydockdreams.games/contact/

We guarantee 0% SPAM, 0% BS and 100% important info. We hate spammers as much as you do, and we will make sure to use this tool only when the importance of the message (Steam store page launch, Kickstarter, publishing deals, etc...) warrants a "all hands to battlestations" P.A. affair. 😇

Great thanks to all among you who will trust us with their email address. We promise to be good boys - don't worry, we learn from the guys at HYPO how to keep our secrets 🤫

Cheers!

JasonPratt

Gusington

I don't understand the concept of 'not visiting grogheads.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

JasonPratt

Quote from: The_Admiral on December 10, 2019, 07:27:45 PM
Regarding Shoho, you can see the bridge here, under the flight deck. That's not the kind of carrier where anybody on the bridge would end up with a suntan by mistake, that's for sure...

Yep, what I thought; just didn't have a good angle on the prior model snapshots.

I know they're clunky as all hell, but I reaaallly like the ad-hoc innovation of these types of carriers.  :smitten:

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 11, 2019, 07:34:59 PM
Quote from: The_Admiral on December 10, 2019, 07:27:45 PM

Yep, what I thought; just didn't have a good angle on the prior model snapshots.

I know they're clunky as all hell, but I reaaallly like the ad-hoc innovation of these types of carriers.  :smitten:

Little factoid-There was a bit of a debate in the 1930's about(I believe)  the USS RANGER.  The aviators really didn't want an Island, as it reduced the space on the flightdeck. However, the importance of the island  for both conning the ship, flight operations, and a place to put the stacks, thereby enabling a higher speed won out.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln