Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star ON STEAM!

Started by Jarhead0331, February 11, 2014, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: MikeGER on November 04, 2014, 02:36:13 AM
repurchased (including the 3 WW II DLCs) to get rid of the patch pain  ....i wont think it will get much more discount anyway (maybe 80% max in an possible  Xmas sale) so why wait

That was also my rationale. Sigh.

I can't decide if Steam panders to gluttony or to lust.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

would love to try this again, especially without the massive patching process headaches....but I have a mental block in wanting to buy all the games I already own from gamersgate

mikeck

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 04, 2014, 08:29:52 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on November 04, 2014, 02:36:13 AM
repurchased (including the 3 WW II DLCs) to get rid of the patch pain  ....i wont think it will get much more discount anyway (maybe 80% max in an possible  Xmas sale) so why wait

That was also my rationale. Sigh.

Me too. I failed calculus 2 so I am clearly not capable of patching the non-steam game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 09:28:30 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 04, 2014, 08:29:52 AM

Both.

so thats why I think of Gus when I think of Steam.....  could be the hot pants he wears also.   ^-^
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

smithcorp

Very handy having these titles on Steam! Goodbye complicated patching!

DennisS

Well. New player, meet learning curve!!!

Is there a tutorial with this beast, or will I have to watch youtube videos for a week?

jomni

There's a tutorial when you first run it. Also you can check out the matrix forums. There are some tips and tricks.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: DennisS on November 05, 2014, 08:27:59 PM

Is there a tutorial with this beast, or will I have to watch youtube videos for a week?

I'm pretty comfortable with it now so hopefully I can help out if you've got any questions.

GDS_Starfury

after my overdose of Total War games over the last month its looking like this will be next.
oh Ostfront how I've missed you.  :smitten:
all I need is that project check tomorrow.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

jomni

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 05, 2014, 10:16:18 PM
Quote from: DennisS on November 05, 2014, 08:27:59 PM

I'm pretty comfortable with it now so hopefully I can help out if you've got any questions.
1) Need more info on arty. How to plot and all the intricacies.

2) Still not used to what the right click movement options do and when to use. I know that these are presets of the different tactical options on the lower right screen.

I have read the manual a long time ago. Maybe it's time to revisit.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Artillery works like this.  After you've placed your units on the map and proceed to the INITIAL ORDERS phase, you can set 3 pre-sighted target locations for each off-board artillery unit you've got. 

Start by selecting your forward observer unit.  Just select the individual unit with the FO in it, not the entire platoon or company the FO is attached to.  If you've correctly selected your FO on the tactical map, you should see 3 sets of concentric rings, one pink and two blue. 

You can move these around the map by placing the cursor over the circle and right clicking.  The hand icon should change to a flag icon.  Move the flag icon to the point on the map where you'd like to place the pre-sight location and right click again.  The target ring should now be in the location you've selected.   You should try to place the icons within line-of-sight of the forward observer or it'll take a lot longer for the FO to correct fire.  I'll explain the system in more detail below.

After you've placed your pre-sights, start the battle. 

When you want to call artillery in, select your forward observer unit and then click the artillery icon which is the right-hand most one on the main icon bar at the bottom middle of the screen.  That will bring up the artillery menu.  It's pretty straight forward.  select which pre-sight you want to shoot at (They're called area #1, area #2, and area #3), the type of shell you want to fire (HE, smoke, flares), and the number of rounds per gun you want to fire. 

In both the arty menu and on the target rings on the map, you'll see two numbers listed next to the name of each target.  For example, you might see something like:  Area #2  0:30 / 250.  The first number is the amount of time from the artillery call until the spotting round will land (in this case 30 seconds).  The second number is the possible deviation radius in metres (in this case, the round will fall anywhere within a 250m radius from the aim point.)    If your FO doesn't have a line of sight to the target, the deviation radius will be much greater than if it's in LOS of the FO.  The spotting round has to fall within about a 40m radius of the aim point before the FO will call for a fire-for-effect barrage.  If the first spotting round falls outside of the 40m radius, the FO will make a correction and call for another spotting round and that will take another 30 seconds.  As you can see, if you select an aim-point well outside of the FO's LOS, it can take a very, very long time to get rounds on target and by that point, the bad guys have usually moved out of the danger zone.

Once the battle's started, you can move the pre-sights if you need to.  Select the target as you did before (right click to select the target ring, then move to the map location where you want to place the new aim point and right click again to drop it.)  Be aware that the amount of time required to get that first spotting round on target goes up the further you move the target ring.  Moving it a short distance of 300 metres or so might see your time jump from 30 seconds to 40 or so.  Moving it a few KM will see it jump from 30 seconds to 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or more.  Combine this with a large error radius and you'll be waiting forever for rounds to hit.     

If you have on-map artillery such as mortars, they will fire on spotted targets automatically if they are in range and you haven't ordered them to hold fire.  You can also order them to fire on an area if you suspect targets are there but haven't seen them yet.  Select the formation that has the mortars in it, then SHIFT-select any of the officer units in the formation as well as the mortars.  Click the Fire on Area button (second from the left in the middle row of the icons on the bottom right hand of the screen) and right click the target area on the map.  Then click on the officer unit only and you should see two concentric orange rings on the map.  These ring will have two numbers displayed in them somewhat similarly to those seen in the off-map artillery rings.  The first number shows the number of units firing and the second number shows the expected accuracy as a percentage.  For example you might see 4: 22%.  This means you've got 4 mortar tubes firing and ~22% of the rounds will land in the target area. 

You can also use this feature for MGs, cannons, etc.  Just remember that this eats up ammo very quickly to remember to cancel the mission after you're done or your units will keep firing until they run dry. 

RyanE

Can someone confirm that the patching process is fixed with Steam.  I would love to get the Steam version, but if the patching process is unchanged, I'll stick with the existing waterboarding-equivalent process I already own.

jomni

Quote from: RyanE on November 06, 2014, 06:32:52 AM
Can someone confirm that the patching process is fixed with Steam.  I would love to get the Steam version, but if the patching process is unchanged, I'll stick with the existing waterboarding-equivalent process I already own.

Short story: It's fixed. 

Long story:  But the funny thing is that Steam will just download the latest patch exe.  And the familiar patching GUI will come out when you run the game and you can then just press a button to install the patch.  With the DLC's it will also show you that GUI to install the add-ons.  It is somewhat automatic as Steam will download the stuff for you when it's available but there is still a manual trigger to actually install the patch.  :2funny:
Still way better than the old process though.

SDR, thanks for the overview.  I hear that you can change from spot to a rectangular or linear area bombardment.  How do you do that?  I have only tried moving the initial circles.

sandman2575

Pretty sure you just right-click and drag to change the arty spotting from point to line... I.e. when you have the arty point selected and highlighted, try RClicking and dragging where you want the line of fire to be.

Although it's been a while since I played GTOS --