Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star ON STEAM!

Started by Jarhead0331, February 11, 2014, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Alright, I'm not sure WTF is going on here.

I downloaded the Prophet DLC.  I unzipped with 7Zip and it comes out as a ....

Ah nevermind.  Man alive, could they have made this any harder to understand?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Fuuuuuuuudge, this is convoluted as all hell.  I...well, instead of admitting how stupid I am I'm going to see if this little trick works. 

This is one of the most painful computer experiences I've ever had...and I use government computers on a routine basis.   :tickedoff:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Alright, here's the deal (doesn't seem that this was completely answered in this thread):

If you buy Graviteam Tactics Op Star on Steam, your DLC's from Gamersgate WILL work with your Steam version.

The Steam version comes pre-patched to the 5.81 core update.

Download all Gamersgate DLC into a folder. 
Unzip all DLCs into a folder.
Install Steam GTOS.
Run GTOS through Steam.
Click "Update"
When the updater comes up, click "install"
Navigate to your folder with all DLC unzipped.
Choose DLC.
Game will self-install DLC.
Click "save and play" and you are good to go.

If you have a working version of GTOS from somewhere else other than Steam, I don't see any value in getting the Steam version.  In my case I simply could not figure out how to get GTOS updated to 5.81, and yes, I followed the instructions.  Therefore, my DLCs wouldn't install. 

It was worth the $7.50 to get it all patched up on Steam and then install my GG DLCs that way...but if you can figure out the patch process for another version then getting the Steam version is up to you.

:(

RyanE

Don't feel stupid...they have one of the most convoluted processes and mish-mash of components from different sources I have ever seen.  Once you figure it out, its OK, but look up non-intuitive in the dictionary, it will define it as the Graviteam install process.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RyanE on June 27, 2014, 04:56:18 AM
Don't feel stupid...they have one of the most convoluted processes and mish-mash of components from different sources I have ever seen.  Once you figure it out, its OK, but look up non-intuitive in the dictionary, it will define it as the Graviteam install process.

It's the only game, ever, where I view new patches as bad news and will try to justify not updating.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 27, 2014, 05:09:08 AM

It's the only game, ever, where I view new patches as bad news and will try to justify not updating.

I kind of feel the same way.....the game could have potential for me, but the thought of patching process makes me just move on....I know there are instructions out there, but way harder than it has to be.  Hopefully their next line of games will make this MUCH easier.

-budd-

i remember the first hellish patching attempts :D. honestly its second nature now, if anybody needs help...just holla.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 27, 2014, 05:09:08 AM

Lol. Yep! I see a new patch and say "meh...things are working ok now so no worries". I haven't patched it since I bought it over a year ago
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

Well, I had a lot of "issues" going on concurrently here.

First, I thought SABOW and Achtung Panzer and Graviteam Tactics were all the same thing.  The last few days I've been playing SABOW and enjoying it.

What makes it worse, though, is that I was playing the Angola scenario in SABOW, so I thought I was playing the Hooper DLC in SABOW.  It's only when I tried to install the Prophet DLC that things got screwy and all.

After I finally bought GTOS on Steam and installed the Hooper and Prophet DLCs I realized that all along I hadn't been playing the DLCs I thought I was.  Now I have some buyer's remorse because I want to drive the tanks and you can't do that in GTOS! 

What a mess!  Now I have two versions of a game I don't really want, and a bunch of DLCs for those games... le sigh...   ::)

SgtRock

Quote from: Toonces on June 27, 2014, 07:58:11 PM
Well, I had a lot of "issues" going on concurrently here.

First, I thought SABOW and Achtung Panzer and Graviteam Tactics were all the same thing.  The last few days I've been playing SABOW and enjoying it.

What makes it worse, though, is that I was playing the Angola scenario in SABOW, so I thought I was playing the Hooper DLC in SABOW.  It's only when I tried to install the Prophet DLC that things got screwy and all.

After I finally bought GTOS on Steam and installed the Hooper and Prophet DLCs I realized that all along I hadn't been playing the DLCs I thought I was.  Now I have some buyer's remorse because I want to drive the tanks and you can't do that in GTOS! 

What a mess!  Now I have two versions of a game I don't really want, and a bunch of DLCs for those games... le sigh...   ::)

Reading this make me even more confused? :buck2:

I guess I'll just wait all of their stuff to come to Steam!

Jarhead0331

I noticed they've released some more DLC for this on Steam.  You can now buy the Operation Hooper (the Angola theater) DLC.  Totally worth it if you're running this on steam.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Krabb

Shield of the Prophet DLC is on Steam too now.

As of patching process, just in case, see: http://gravitac.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Installing_updates_and_modifications.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Krabb on October 25, 2014, 04:45:09 AM
Shield of the Prophet DLC is on Steam too now.

As of patching process, just in case, see: http://gravitac.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Installing_updates_and_modifications.

That process still needs to be utilized for the steam version? No auto updates? If so, sort of defeats the purpose of getting it on steam.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Krabb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2014, 04:50:21 AM
That process still needs to be utilized for the steam version? No auto updates? If so, sort of defeats the purpose of getting it on steam.
No, on steam updates are almost automatic (you have to press Save&Play). This process is only needed if you want to install a mod, a DLC bought somewhere else, from GamersGate for example, or the newest patch until it gets to steam.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog