Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Veitikka on October 10, 2018, 06:29:11 AM
As I see it, we are providing a massive playground and huge number of toys that can be used to create an unlimited amount of scenarios, and I'm expecting that we will see them made by the community. Before developing the scenario making system much further, I'd like to hear what the users really want from it.

It just feels like you're releasing a half-baked game. Any developer that calls its game 'sandbox' immediately sends up a red warning flare (sorry, we couldn't find the time to make a proper campaign/scenario base)

No campaign.

No scenarios

Only a random battle generator where the "dynamic" AI will do whatever it wants.

Quoteand I'm expecting that we will see them made by the community

And you expect the players to build the scenarios for you?

ehhhhhh what? :idiot2:

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 10, 2018, 10:20:29 AM

It just feels like you're releasing a half-baked game. Any developer that calls its game 'sandbox' immediately sends up a red warning flare (sorry, we couldn't find the time to make a proper campaign/scenario base)

No campaign.

No scenarios

Only a random battle generator where the "dynamic" AI will do whatever it wants.

I'm good with the sandbox approach. For example: I have been playing (and still play) CM1 since its launch. I can probably count on two hands the number of set piece scenarios I have played. I love a good random battle generator.

So understand your comment, but I am one player who is not that interested in set scenarios.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

That's what it comes down to really.  I'm more of a set piece scenario kind of guy myself as well but from what I observed so far about this game makes me very interested.  Even if the game will be in a random sandbox mode.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rayfer

I wonder what the price point will be on release?  With my limited gaming funds I hope this isn't one of their 'premium' games in the $80.00 range, i.e. WitE/W, WitP:AE, etc. 

IronX

I'm intrigued by this game and like what I've seen so far. For me too, it will depend on the price point and how well it's received before I commit. After Check Your Six, I'm no longer a day one purchaser of Siltherix games.

DennisS

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 10, 2018, 10:32:18 AM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 10, 2018, 10:20:29 AM

No campaign.

No scenarios

I'm good with the sandbox approach. For example: I have been playing (and still play) CM1 since its launch. I can probably count on two hands the number of set piece scenarios I have played. I love a good random battle generator.

So understand your comment, but I am one player who is not that interested in set scenarios.

To be honest, I won't buy a game that only has set scenarios. Once you "solve" them, you're done. A GOOD random battle generation system is better than structured scenarios, in all be one regard. You can't playtest or balance a random scenario. The pre-built can be more fun, as the entire scenario has been gone over with a critical eye, with improvements in mind.

Even scenario created by users just don't really do it for me.

One last point. The AI needs to be better for a random battle generation system. The AI for pre-builts can be scripted, in a big way. Turn two, send the tanks down this road, flank THAT building with infantry and RPG's. The illusion of the AI countering your moves is maintained...as there are only a few tactical decisions that can be reasonably made.

Either way, this game looks pretty good.

Iconoclast

Posting to subscribe to threat...

But yeah, I agree. A good Battle editor is worth more to me as well, of course, just personally speaking.  I am a huge fan of the Assault Boardgame Series and always look back to them when a new 80s Cold War gone Hot comes out.

The big issue I see atm is the AI though. The fact that they do not adhere to red SOP and instead just build "random" AI groups is something that turns me off. I would prefer to see BAGs, RAGs, MODs, MSDs etc. What is also an issue for me is the lack of bridging equipment in the game.

But in any case, I will support the game. Every commercial success in a tactical 80s environment is a step forward to the type of game I would like to see in the future.

Cheers,

I
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

Crossroads

Quote from: Iconoclast on October 11, 2018, 09:36:48 PM
Posting to subscribe to threat...

+1

Seems it is about to be released. Saving my anniverary coupon for this one  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Destraex

Very interested. Out on the 15th but cannot see it on steam.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

OK I AM OUT... single player only. Majorly bummed
I have no interest in learning a system I cannot play with friends.
I went hunting for if it had coop multi vs AI and found NO multi at all!!

mikeck

Quote from: Destraex on October 13, 2018, 08:56:16 PM
OK I AM OUT... single player only. Majorly bummed
I have no interest in learning a system I cannot play with friends.
I went hunting for if it had coop multi vs AI and found NO multi at all!!

Lol...well I will balance the universe for us then. If it's single player I'm in. No interest in MP games with a half-arsed AI to provide single player "training"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Destraex

Instead you just get a half arsed AI and no real human challenge or even social interaction.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on October 14, 2018, 04:32:18 AM
Instead you just get a half arsed AI and no real human challenge or even social interaction.

Sign me up....I'll take that over multi-player games any day of the week.  Even half arsed AI usually gives me a run for my money....

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 14, 2018, 05:35:11 AM
Even half arsed AI usually gives me a run for my money....

+1 and then some.

It's a rare game that I enjoy that has a truly terrible AI. Most are perfectly competent as far as I'm concerned.

And to be honest, I don't really want a huge challenge these days, if I ever did. My gaming time is usually at night, after work and after getting kids fed and to bed. At that point, my mental capacity is about a quarter of what it is during the day. I want to relax. My ideal is that the AI gives me just enough of a challenge that the game is enjoyable but in the end I still win.   8)

Besides, so much of the 'challenge' of these games is simply learning how to play them -- most are highly complex with detailed mechanics and options. I don't need a supercomputer AI to add to the challenge at the same time.  And Armored Brigade looks *plenty* complex as it is.

Anyway, I can see why the lack of MP here is unappealing to some. For me, bring on the mediocre SP AIs!

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 14, 2018, 05:35:11 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 14, 2018, 04:32:18 AM

Sign me up....I'll take that over multi-player games any day of the week.  Even half arsed AI usually gives me a run for my money....

It's just big blobs of units moving toward pre-determined points on the map.

No strategy
No tactics
No adjustment to the plan