Brant: Finder of Lost Games

Started by DicedT, February 04, 2012, 01:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

Just want to thank Brant for his Random Friday Wargaming column on Grognews. This week's look at Mercenary Air Squadron took the cake. Where does he find these games? Random searches through Boardgamegeek?

Michael

bayonetbrant

I link through BGG, and tend to use their images, but I'm always looking for stuff that's off the beaten path.  Especially if there's no good anniversary tie-in or new game that week.

I mean, it is "Random" Friday Wargaming  ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Wait 'til you see what's up today!  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I checked it out and it's a rare gem!  Whale Wars can only be next!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

so what sayeth y'all - what are some good under-the-radar games we could highlight over at GrogNews?

Preference is for something modern-era, but willing to jump around a bit if there's a good historical anniversary tie-in you've got in mind.

Ideally it would also be something we can include some good graphics with, since the visuals are important in people checking out the articles on the blog.

LongBlade

I'm not sure how under the radar it is, but Wilderness War is an underrepresented conflict.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

How a bout the old SPI, John Carter, Warlord of Mars?  Think it was produced around 84?
With the movie coming out, it is even timely to mention it. 
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Captain General

besilarius

If you had a group with four or more members, Avalon Hill's Down with the King, could be a lot of fun.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: Captain General on February 25, 2012, 01:54:20 PM
Divine Right.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23/divine-right

Lots of good times with that one!

I can help with images - I have both the original and the 25th Anniversary, plus the supplement for the original in Dragon magazine.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Lots of great ideas folks.  I'll start sprinkling them into the RFW column at GrogNews ;D

bayonetbrant

y'all ought to check out what's up today ;D