Fanatical - Pathfinder Kingmaker

Started by Tpek, September 25, 2018, 11:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I pre-ordered Pathfinder Kingmaker Imperial edition from them a few weeks ago, and instead of delivering the key, a day after release they simply cancel the order.

Now, not only did I waste precious time pointlessly waiting for the key, if I want the game I'll have to pay more (no more pre-order discounts anywhere) and lose the exclusive pre-order DLC content.

If only Steam wouldn't be so obsessed with their regional pricing crap, where some countries (like mine) always have to pay more, so other countries could get games for practically free.

EDIT: Well, Fanatical at least decided to be nice and in addition to the refund gave me the Royal edition for free.
Thing is now I need to pay them for it (I don't like handouts)  :P

jamus34

Well glad they made it right but in all honesty I think it might be outside of steams hands. I know some of the deals specifically fanatical runs are region locked.

As far as the why I can only guess. It could be anything from tax purposes to banned content I think.

That said I've been watching this one. Please post up thoughts once you get it.
Insert witty comment here.

Tpek

At the end it's still screwed.
Apparently their keys don't work in the ROW region... so no dice at all.

This really really sucks.

I'm never going to buy from Fanatical again. They may be cheaper than Steam, but completely unreliable.

Grim.Reaper

Stinks that you had bad experience.  I just pre-ordered a couple of days ago and actually got my keys last night.  I am using Fanatical more and more nowadays and so far no issues for me.

Have you had other bad experiences with them, or just this one time?

Tpek

This is the first... and the last.

Right now I'm quite screwed in regards to the game.
If I buy it now, I'd have lost some money on it (no pre-order discounts anymore, Steam has marked up the prices for me, etc...) and never get access to the exclusive pre-order DLC despite having pre-ordered.

Nefaro

Regional distro limits are a fancy way of saying "price gouging".

They do it so they can charge high dollar in wealthier countries but lower the price in others where sales would suffer if sold at the same price.  Squeeze out some extra sales at lower prices in some areas at the same time as they're charging higher elsewhere.  Unfortunately we have to wait awhile before they go on sale for comparable pricing.

I'm pretty sure it's the publisher who sets the regional guidelines & pricing.  Not the retailers.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on September 27, 2018, 06:31:47 AM
Regional distro limits are a fancy way of saying "price gouging".

They do it so they can charge high dollar in wealthier countries but lower the price in others where sales would suffer if sold at the same price.  Squeeze out some extra sales at lower prices in some areas at the same time as they're charging higher elsewhere.  Unfortunately we have to wait awhile before they go on sale for comparable pricing.

I'm pretty sure it's the publisher who sets the regional guidelines & pricing.  Not the retailers.

I doubt it's the publishers' fault.
Steam seems to do so by default and the publishers just unknowingly agree to it.

Also the whole "wealthier countries" isn't correct. Otherwise the U.S, Canada, Scandinavia and some Arabian gulf countries would be at the top rather than getting the better pricing.