Dragons and Wargaming? DRAGON RAGE!

Started by son_of_montfort, March 08, 2012, 11:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

I just saw this came out, a reprint or re-do of the old fantasy wargame/siege game Dragon Rage!

One of the guys who did a video review is a FB friend of mine, so I intend to get together soon and play it with him.

Check out these pics:

The counters look AMAZING! Pre-rounded edges and thick. The new release's counters are on the Left.

Looks like an awesome game!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Double Deuce

Almost look like Squad Leader boards.  ;D

I like those counters. You don't see many newer games with nice, thick counters like that at least in the games I have interest in anyway. I might need to look into this one.

TheCommandTent

Thats looks like a really sweet game.  If you get a chance to play it let us know what you think about it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

From what I have heard/seen, the wargame aspect is pretty strong, if a little simplistic. You have strengths of units that "add up" and you compare that to the strength of an opposing stack, then quickly cross-reference to a "to hit" table and roll. The monsters are more interesting. They have a normal "to hit" number and the unit strength of the unit attacking them is the number of wounds they get. For big monsters - Rocs, Dragons, etc, they have a chart of their "body parts" and can get damaged in specific places. Hit the dragon's legs, it losses movement points, hit its wings and it can't fly.

Really cool stuff. Hopefully I will get to play it within a few weeks with my friend and have more to say about it.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

besilarius

Cannot recall exactly when this was released by Dwarfstar/Heritage, but probably around 1984?
It was a fantasticly popular game. Only $3.95 for a complete game that was played solitaire.
HEritage, the parent company promised a whole series of follow ons, but they were in permanent financial disarray, and finally went down the tubes without producing any.
The other three Dwarfstar games, like GravArmor (thanks Brant) were also well received, but Dragon Rage was a sellout.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.