FPS Game Comparisons

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2017, 05:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

"The Alien has godmode. {pew}"  :DD :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Literally my experience the last time I tried to play the original Operation Flashpoint (whence Arma came), specifically the first mission of the Soviet campaign expansion. (I did win the main campaign, which was surreal in so many ways, maybe not even least that due to a bug or a gonzo design decision none of the opponent "actors" were ever rendered in the plot cutscenes. Like ghosts nattering to one another in an empty room as the camera panned and dollied around in lazy madness. But I quit on that first Soviet mission where I was required to crawl with my squad through a few hundred yards of field grass after the cover of a forest, while an American APC rolled around shooting us up from all the distance out. I think it eventually just rolled up and ran over me.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

Alien, Fallout and Dark Souls speak to me in the above  :2funny:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Cyrano

The lack of commentary re: "Borderlands" renders this invalid.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ComradeP

JasonPratt: I still prefer Operation Flashpoint and its expansions to the rest of the series and the first two ArmA's, Haven't played the third.

Even with quirky things going on with pathing or hitboxes from time to time, it was a very impressive and immersive game for its time. Also one of the first games where you could feel sorry for losing the men in your squad because their loss was something that was presented to you as something that mattered. I kept trying to bring everybody back alive.

It took me a while to figure out that the American mission where you drive to an open field wasn't bugged, but that my men in the truck were actually being sniped (through the cab, but as mentioned, the sometimes quirky hitboxes were usually only a small problem). The canned "Oh no! FOUR...is down" hit you more than it should, a bit like Myth's almost cynical "Casualty".

The Soviet opening mission for the resistance campaign was a slaughter for the squad, though, mostly because you couldn't order it around as you were just a regular trooper. They kept getting killed by civilians with shotguns or hunting rifles or whatever they were. In the end I had to go Rambo.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JasonPratt

The only mission in the original campaign that I recall having serious difficulty with (aside the couple of Warthog-flying missions, which for my processor and control-system of the day amounted to blind utter luck, but which the designers seem to have anticipated because I don't recall actually needing many repeats to win them), was the grand finale race to stop the nuke. Mainly because the timing required us to rush down to an APC somewhere else on the map, and Dukes of Hazzard that thing back across the map to have any chance of winning. And there weren't any cues that this had to be done.

After that frantic craziness, I appreciated the guts of the designers to make the real 'last' mission a calm epilogue tracing the main characters after the war as they meander around the island in peacetime.

Father Ted

No mention of RO2 in there?

"You have a weapon...respawn in 15..14..13.."

Apocalypse 31

The Division. So accurate.

I'm pretty sure that the weapons in The Division are weaker and do less bodily harm than BB guns in real life.

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on July 16, 2017, 04:27:54 PM

I'll just mention some other impressions:  Red Orchestra: Darkest Hour Mod...Best M-1 ever.
                                                                    Heroes and Generals: Buy gold, get revenge and lose interest
                                                                    Arma III: A whole universe -- weird fun most of the time

Greybriar

Thanks for the laughs, Brant. O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Father Ted on July 16, 2017, 04:27:54 PM

Haha, so true. It takes a looong time to become proficient at surviving for a few minutes in RO2. I love that game.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd